• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5l harmonic balancer.....

Trucker2k16

Reaction score
Hey guys im back with something else (not my 6.5l). I was changing the harmonic balancer for one of my buddies. Well i realized it came off with ease granite i had to use a wrench to get it free (pulling off) after that i notice it was real loose so i grabbed the tool with my hand and wala i was shocked that i was able to use my hand to take it off. Werid right? Maybe not? Any way i put the new seal in and new acdelco balancer it slide on easy but not all the way. Back to the tool yet again i was able to put it on by hand till i got close to the end then back to the wrench. Now is that normal? The keyway looked good but i went ahead and installed a new one and for some reason when i pulled the bolt out there was rtv. Is that like a old school thing in case oil leaks between crank and balancer?

Im no help on the loose fitting balancer- maybe one was loose and chattered or had a little surface rust so they used emery cloth to clean it up, removing some material?

The silicone on the bolt makes no sense. Maybe they pit that on there thinking it would work like thread locker? Maybe that messed with the torque spec being accurate and allowed it to move around?
Clean all that out of there and use proper thread locker when it goes back together.

Im no help on the loose fitting balancer- maybe one was loose and chattered or had a little surface rust so they used emery cloth to clean it up, removing some material?

The silicone on the bolt makes no sense. Maybe they pit that on there thinking it would work like thread locker? Maybe that messed with the torque spec being accurate and allowed it to move around?
Clean all that out of there and use proper thread locker when it goes back together.
It wasnt on the threads it was put on the edge of crank snout after balancer was installed then bolt was put in. I only changed it cause his oil seal was leaking and the rubber wasnt looking good so before he broke his crank i replaced it

moat balancers will leak oil, usually along the keyway, that is why I always install a healthy dose of no. 1 Permatex to the balancer side of the washer and also to the balancer side of the bolts head.

Back