• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L failed emissions smog test. Any ideas?

When they did mine here in CA, they did not install a sniffer in the exhaust. Single guy snapped the throttle down quickly and released it twice while watching in the side view mirror. That is all.

In Ontario,for anything (Diesel) with a gvw rating over 4500 kg,the "snap " test is done, hooked up to the computer & sniffer in exhaust to measure opacity. No rollers involved. I was more than a little bit agitated the first time it was done (running up against the governors half a dozen times),not so much now . The big lads have to go thru it & dont seem to mind, so I,ve rationalized its ok , Still dont like putting the truck thru it tho.
Under 4500kg a kind of subjective visual is done .A cake walk in comparison.

Here over 8,600 GVWR they do the snap test with a sniffer. Under 8,600 GVWR they require a sniffer, nox, and rollers IIRC.

1 to 4 seconds is forever. I don't have to take any test by me but if I did and some idiot told me I had to stand on my unloaded throttle and run the risk of a rod through the block, I do believe I would be departing in a hurry with their info in hand to provide to the local authorities and start the extreme protest/appeal process...:mad2: NFW do I do that unless I'm on rollers.

Emissions tests are designed to get vehicles off the road after all... :rolleyes5:

The truck that had copper showing in the bearings passed this just fine w/o popping a rod. As long as you are not overspeeding the engine you should be ok. Although I have 20 year old valve springs...

It is still a snap to pass these tests vs roller tests where everything has to be perfect.

I recall my numbers were under 10 of 40 with the ATT, B99, special tune, and kitty.

Good to get some "hard" numbers on ATT equipped vehicles. Have to admit that fear of failing the test has been a real deterrent in considering an A team turbo. Could be mistaken,but Iirc the limit here in Ontario has gone from 40 to30. Realize that tuning can help the numbers when equipping with the ATT.

So they lower the limits for new trucks (understandable) but they should not hold an older truck to newer truck standards.
In Utah anything made before the Opacity Test was adopted (1996) has NO test, after that the truck is held to the standard in place when it was built, same with gassers.

Welp, it passed this morning.

Sunday I changed the oil, fuel and air filters. I pumped most of the 10 gallons I put in the truck out into a can, leaving a few gallons to drive to the nearest bio station (a good 25 miles) away. I filled up with B75 (highest available this time of year) and drove it while and tested.

Our testing is not designed to, both in function and by our state administrative code, designed to hold the throttle at the governor. and excerpt from it "The snap-acceleration test cycle consists of moving the accelerator pedal from normal idle as rapidly as possible to the full power position, then fully releasing the throttle so the engine returns to idle." http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=173-422-075

The problem, I now realized after the idiot tech tried to get me to hold it, is that their system for whatever reason cannot read the RPMs on my truck very well. At idle it's all over the place; as low as 100, as high as 1,400, all while not touching the idle. First snap test the computer never sees the idle, and it's gets all angry. The tech gets a manager who promptly overrides the tach signal and the test was conducted manually. Passed at 34%. I'm sure it would have passed lower had there not been about 8 gallons of #2/powerservice/2-cycle in my tank.

I also called and talked to the testing company's regional manager. He said their test is designed to NOT hold the throttle down on the governor, and the first tech was entirely wrong.

Dave

Glad to hear that the truck passed. Have not had anyone say that they didn't pass the emissions test with the ATT. I am really interested in anything that was done if you would like to call me and fill me in on the details. Been MIA because of work and a few other things, so will be spotty posting but will try to make it at least once a week. Anyone that has questions can always call. I return all calls.

Dennis

Dave

Glad to hear that the truck passed. Have not had anyone say that they didn't pass the emissions test with the ATT. I am really interested in anything that was done if you would like to call me and fill me in on the details. Been MIA because of work and a few other things, so will be spotty posting but will try to make it at least once a week. Anyone that has questions can always call. I return all calls.

Dennis

Dennis,

I didn't have actually do much. I changed my filters (fuel, air and oil), and ran B75 with the remaining #2/Power Service/2-cycle oil. I think the combination of the idiot technician and the 2-cycle oil mixed in the fuel was the cause of all this. Passed just fine second go round.

Glad to see you passed.

I cannot believe the testing procedure on your first visit. I would have left in a hurry to find another shop. You would hope that someone in that position had done a truck or two before, and knew what they were doing, but i guess not.

I guess there is one thing that isnt so bad about connecticut...Our emission system seems to be quite lenient. My 95 and 96' always passed with no cats. And they passed by alot, not just a little. Ive only had problems with a few old gas trucks that were pushing 250K miles anyways..

Glad to hear you are back on the road with the truck!

-Nick

Back