• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L failed emissions smog test. Any ideas?

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Problem: Welp, you read it right. My headache of a truck has once again decided to not cooperate.

Tabs are due this month, and since moving back to western Wa. it requires an emissions test. Drove it down this morning and it failed the opacity. Limit is 40%, truck produced 77%.

Demographics:
- Year: 1999
- Truck model and class: K2500, 8,600 GVWR
- Automatic or Standard: NV-4500
- Mileage: ~158,### miles
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc): ATT, Black Stanadyne PMD with #9 resistor. PMD is bolted to a 1/4" aluminum plate with a pentium 4 heatsink and fan mounted behind the driver's battery.
- Model: Turbo-charged L65 "F"
- Ambient outside temp: ~50F
- What fuel are you using? #2 Diesel
- What fuel additives are you using? 50% Silver power service 50% 2-cycle oil mix
- Where are you located?: Covington, WA

General Maintenance:
- Air filter: Wix filter changed on 03/14/2011 @ 148,000 miles
- Fuel filter: Wix changed changed on 03/14/2011 @ 148,000 miles
- CDR Valve?: Cleaned and inspected 02/1/2012 @ 158,### miles

- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at: 6/11/11 with synthetic 3M Coolant.

- Oil – synthetic/regular, Last change: Shell Rotella T 15w40 Conventional & Donaldson Filter, changed Dec 2011 @ 156,000 miles.

- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at: Charged, matched Costoc 1,000/800 CA/CCA, New Dec 2011
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): OEM, cleaned and tightened.
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them?: Unknown What type? Delco G60. Individually tested & working
- Injectors - last changed at: Unknown

History:
- What were you doing when it happened?: Failed Emissions 2/11/12
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared?: Still running.
- Has this problem ever happened before?: No.
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem: Who knows.
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)?: No, the light is not on.

Diagnostics:
1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start?: Yes.
1b] Does the engine crank over?: Yes.
1c] Are your batteries fully charged?: Yes.
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections?: Yes.
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time?: Yes. How long?: 10 seconds depending on temp of truck.
1f] Does your glow plug light come on?: n/a For how long?: n/a
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking?: Right after startup, yes. What color?: Normal exhaust colored, lightly sooty, smells like burnt #2.
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check?: yes.

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up?: After 8-10 mins of running on high idle, yes. Takes longer at normal idle..
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank?: No.
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)?: No.
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? When it's under ~32F there is white smoke on startup, appears as if it is normal condensation.
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? No.

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT)?: No.
6b] Maximum boost under load?: Unknown.
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip?: No.
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover?: 3" Straight pipe.
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum (OEM)?: OEM

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist. We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you:

As I stated, it failed it's smog test. The truck was purchased and prior to my move registered in a portion of the state not requiring emissions testing. Now it does. Talked with two emissions shops, the said they check the filters, exhaust, and DTC to start with, all of which are in good shape and filters have 10k or so on them. Truck has no EGR or Cat from the factory. Soot trap is no longer in the exhaust system. Truck is running great.

The test the station performs is a throttle snap test. with the truck stationary, you have to roll the throttle from off to floored, wait 10 seconds, then repeat two more times (3 snaps). The test is repeated 3 more times with the sensor in the exhaust pipe. First thing, the snap test will NOT successfully complete without revving the truck to the governor (which i ****ing hated and told him i'm not comfortable revving my truck to almost 4k). He made me do it anyway. During the test, their computer had difficulty reading my throttle and I had to repeat the test 8 times. Some of the tests wanted me to hold the throttle to the floor for 5-10 seconds, which I wouldn't do.

One shop suggested that the test is making me over-rev my truck, and causing extra smoke. I believe this to be accurate.

Both shops believe the larger turbo (ATT) would have no effect on the results. One shop suggested doing injectors. It was also suggested to not run any additives and switch to bio-diesel for a few tanks before the next re-test.

I was considering putting a #1 resistor in the PMD during the next test.

Any other ideas?

Ditch the 2 stroke would be my first thing......

Not familiar with the emission testing protocol, but it could be the ATT's slightly slower acceleration causing a bit more "smoke". It might not be visable to the naked eye, but maybe to the sensor suite.

I'm only guess ing at the ATT thing though.

If only I was there we could flash a PCM and it'd pass with flying colors.

Drive like a dog, but it would pass.

Pass?

yes.

Legal?

:devil:

You think running the PMD sans resistor will help at all?

Another option is putting a cat on it, if that may possibly help?

x2 on the two stroke oil. I had a dodge camper van many years ago and I only drove it to go camping. Well I'd start it every once in a while and ran it out of gas, Not thinking I took a full 5 gallons of gas from my boat. It was a 2 stroke outboard and dumped it in the van. When it came time to go camping I had to aircare it. They refused to test it since it was smoking. I drove home. Emptied the tank and filled it with straight gasoline and went back where they tested it and it passed. Even tc3 two stroke smokes.

You think running the PMD sans resistor will help at all?

Another option is putting a cat on it, if that may possibly help?

No resistor will run like crap if it happens to do a relearn on you and probably throw everything right out of whack.

Each step is only .3 mm3 so probably no help there.

Not sure about reinstalling the convertor.

No muffler may be affecting too.....again, just guessing.

I sure don't like thier testing of holding it against the limiter.....<shiver>

I'm pretty sure I'd be bringing that down to 3000-3400 (re-flash) if I had to do that test....

Pulling the resistor won't help.

Holding it against the stops? Bad idea... I don't think they should be making you do this, just sounds plain wrong.

Winter diesel? Not sure how that affects things, sure reduces mileage and power.

x2 on ditching the 2-stroke additive.

Timing? I know that changing the timing makes a big difference; you will lose power, but you should clean up.

Best suggestion I have is to call Bill Heath; he's less than 2 hr from you, and will almost certainly give you a hand. I bet there's a shop in Ellensburg that will do the emissions-testing, too. 877-894-6266

Tell him we sent ya.

No resistor will run like crap if it happens to do a relearn on you and probably throw everything right out of whack.

Each step is only .3 mm3 so probably no help there.

Not sure about reinstalling the convertor.

No muffler may be affecting too.....again, just guessing.

I sure don't like thier testing of holding it against the limiter.....<shiver>

I'm pretty sure I'd be bringing that down to 3000-3400 (re-flash) if I had to do that test....
I read the WA law, and the way the test station guy made me test the truck was entirely wrong. Here is the correct procedure. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=173-422-075

Thinking that de-tuning the truck might help some too, ditch the 2-stroke and start running bio diesel (more than one suggestion on both of those).

Pulling the resistor won't help.

Holding it against the stops? Bad idea... I don't think they should be making you do this, just sounds plain wrong.

Winter diesel? Not sure how that affects things, sure reduces mileage and power.

x2 on ditching the 2-stroke additive.

Timing? I know that changing the timing makes a big difference; you will lose power, but you should clean up.

Best suggestion I have is to call Bill Heath; he's less than 2 hr from you, and will almost certainly give you a hand. I bet there's a shop in Ellensburg that will do the emissions-testing, too. 877-894-6266

Tell him we sent ya.
I've talked to Heath before, wasn't able to get ahold of him today. Might have to take the day off work Monday to deal with it....

David, I read your link to the test.

It says 0-8500 lbs for the weight class.

Your truck is a "heavy" 3/4 ton like mine so it should be 8600lbs.

Is it emissions exempt in Wa?

Might be worth looking in to....

Nope, it's not exempt. Under 8500 GVWR they do a full sniffer test. Over is the snap test.

Considered an aftermarket cat on it but would that really clean it up? This truck never came with a cat on it, just a soot trap which is a dealer only item for $800.

Anyone know the difference between a soot trap and cat?

Really wondering if the ATT has anything to do with it....

David, I read your link to the test.

It says 0-8500 lbs for the weight class.

Your truck is a "heavy" 3/4 ton like mine so it should be 8600lbs.

Is it emissions exempt in Wa?

Might be worth looking in to....

Ah, never mind. Read it again.

You get the snap test instead of the acceleration test because you're OVER 8500 lbs....

WarWagon passed a California emissions test with his, had an ATT.

The thought of a DMax cat isn't a bad idea, if you can pick one up at a wreckers cheap, or at a muffler shop. Lots of guys pull off brand new cats to put duals on their trucks.

Here's his thread: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...rap-ATT-emissions-passed!&highlight=emissions

A minute ago, you were happy and the truck was running great! Hold that thought and don't get discouraged/give up ... bad stuff happens to people who don't keep the faith. We're gonna get you through this, then things will be all happy again.

Nope, it's not exempt. Under 8500 GVWR they do a full sniffer test. Over is the snap test.

Considered an aftermarket cat on it but would that really clean it up? This truck never came with a cat on it, just a soot trap which is a dealer only item for $800.

Anyone know the difference between a soot trap and cat?

Really wondering if the ATT has anything to do with it....
Probably the precious metals in a catalytic convertor. I have a soot trap you can have. I may even be able to deliver it as I gotta talk to Heath about going from HP4 to a towing ATT tune.

WarWagon passed a California emissions test with his, had an ATT.

The thought of a DMax cat isn't a bad idea, if you can pick one up at a wreckers cheap, or at a muffler shop. Lots of guys pull off brand new cats to put duals on their trucks.

Here's his thread: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...rap-ATT-emissions-passed!&highlight=emissions

A minute ago, you were happy and the truck was running great! Hold that thought and don't get discouraged/give up ... bad stuff happens to people who don't keep the faith. We're gonna get you through this, then things will be all happy again.
I really don't want to be throwing money and parts at this to try and fix it, although the d-max cat MIGHT help? I'm doing ok as far as happiness, i'm just tired of fighting this truck. Sometimes things get to me a little too much seeing as i'm a bit bi-polar.

Probably the precious metals in a catalytic convertor. I have a soot trap you can have. I may even be able to deliver it as I gotta talk to Heath about going from HP4 to a towing ATT tune.
When would you be heading through this way?

------------

Spoke with Dennis about the ATT. He said he's had many people pass with them on, agreed that bio might help and suggested checking out a few settings.

Going to see if I can grab my buddies scanner.

if your offering it, and i still haven't passed emissions i'll take it. I'm right on the route to ellensburg if your coming down I5 and I90.

Back