• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 with recurring codes

Soooo....back on topic. Can a mod clean this thread please? I'd rather go back to just getting help.

Burning Oil, My name is Peter.

Looks like you're getting some excellent help.

The door was opened to the drama and closed just as quickly. No, we're not cleaning up.

UNLESS the map sensor drives the wastegate circuit...which is entirely possible in the grand scheme of computerness...I doubt that the P0236 is substantive, rather it's a symptom of the P1656

Not sure how the two codes would interact but it seems to me that if the map sensor was sending incorrect data to the PCM, then that would set another series of incorrect signals throughout the system. I'm still learning so appreciate the banter, even if it is only to learn I've mis-imterpreted something. May help someone else down the line. I'm still trying to figure out an unrelated issue with all components seeming to be in order.

The P1656 I believe from what i can find means the ECM is detecting a problem with the wiring to the mastegate solenoid. The ECM will go open on the ground side(trigger circuit) of the solenoid, and when it does it will look for a positive voltage present on the trigger wire(take away teh ground, and positive voltage will go through the solenoid and make it back to the ECM trigger wire where teh ECM monitors it). If it doesn't see within about 1 volt of battery voltage at the trigger wire during the self test, it will code with a wiring or circuit error. This is to help narrow the problem down from a sticking solenoid or wiring issue. The boost code is a general code meaning the boost is going above and below commanded which is concurent with a wiring or solenoid issue. Also an intermittent short on the trigger wire that the ECm grounds to engage the wastegate solenoid could cause both of these codes to pop at the same time. If the ECM is commanding say a 50% duty cycle, it will expect to see say roughly 4-5 volts on the trigger circuit. if it gets grounded out the boost will shoot up, and the ECm will detect a short and trigger the circuit error. This problem sounds like a chafed wire issue which can be a REAL PITA to find.

As for DP drama, we have always strived to seperate the 2 sites from each other. And we rarely delete and clean up posts here unless it is absolutely neccesary to do so. We do our best to let things run there course withot heavy handed moderating. We will try and steer a thread back onto topic, and break posts up into seperate threads to keep it on topic, but we rarely delete. And depite our last words at DP, I welcome you so long as you are here for help or to contribute. We welcome ALL members here regardless of what has happened elsewhere.

The P1656 I believe from what i can find means the ECM is detecting a problem with the wiring to the mastegate solenoid. The ECM will go open on the ground side(trigger circuit) of the solenoid, and when it does it will look for a positive voltage present on the trigger wire(take away teh ground, and positive voltage will go through the solenoid and make it back to the ECM trigger wire where teh ECM monitors it). If it doesn't see within about 1 volt of battery voltage at the trigger wire during the self test, it will code with a wiring or circuit error. This is to help narrow the problem down from a sticking solenoid or wiring issue. The boost code is a general code meaning the boost is going above and below commanded which is concurent with a wiring or solenoid issue. Also an intermittent short on the trigger wire that the ECm grounds to engage the wastegate solenoid could cause both of these codes to pop at the same time. If the ECM is commanding say a 50% duty cycle, it will expect to see say roughly 4-5 volts on the trigger circuit. if it gets grounded out the boost will shoot up, and the ECm will detect a short and trigger the circuit error. This problem sounds like a chafed wire issue which can be a REAL PITA to find.

As for DP drama, we have always strived to seperate the 2 sites from each other. And we rarely delete and clean up posts here unless it is absolutely neccesary to do so. We do our best to let things run there course withot heavy handed moderating. We will try and steer a thread back onto topic, and break posts up into seperate threads to keep it on topic, but we rarely delete. And depite our last words at DP, I welcome you so long as you are here for help or to contribute. We welcome ALL members here regardless of what has happened elsewhere.

And sometimes the Mods will even steer a thread off course;)

So I drove to the hospital today to get my xrays, no code. drove home. no code.

Now one thing I did was when I initially swapped the solenoid 3 days ago I never bolted it down, didn't have my tools handy, so last night I un plugged it, unbolted the old, bolted in the new and plugged it back in. Maybe I corrected a connector issue, maybe not...time will tell.

the chafed wire scenario scares me...because they ARE a PITA to find :/

Hopefully that was your issue. It's always nice to see what the problem was so you know it's fixed.

I'm hoping she likes her new cables, got them all wired in today. Kind of wish I replaced the starter cable again anyways, I'd be back to proper side posts again...as it is I've got one modified(pass pos), which means I had to cut the cover off one of the new cables :'(

Well she seems to be ok now, hasn't coded in awhile and has much more pep. Starts better too!. I've got to work on the winch now, get it winter season ready, needs to be lubed and the connector for the controller is loose. I epoxied it today, hoping it holds, if not I'll strip it down and rebolt it and contact cement it...hate working outside when its cold out :/

Well she seems to be ok now, hasn't coded in awhile and has much more pep. Starts better too!. I've got to work on the winch now, get it winter season ready, needs to be lubed and the connector for the controller is loose. I epoxied it today, hoping it holds, if not I'll strip it down and rebolt it and contact cement it...hate working outside when its cold out :/

isn't that a little late for that,winter started in october allready

Back