• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Vac pump delete w/o AC

KevinC

Reaction score
Hey guys, making this thread because I have a 1994 K2500 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel with 150,000 KM. The vac pump went on me the other day which I was going to delete once I got to it anyway. Well it seems to be a lot more complicated than that. Everything I’ve read of people doing the delete seemed quite simple, remove the pump, plug the lines and put on a 1” shorter belt.. well unfortunately mines not that simple. Due to me not having AC that means I don’t have an AC compressor on that side of the serpentine, therefore the vac pump is the only pulley on that side. Here’s where I run into a problem, with no pulley on that side there’s no way for me to run a belt. They don’t even manufacture the part anymore, no aftermarket solution I could find and no bypass pulleys seem to be made for this. I was able to find a 6.5 sitting in a yard that I was able to steal the AC compressor, vac pump and belt off of it to get me back on the road but those bearings don’t sound too good either. If anyone has a solution or any ideas on this issue please let me know because I know it’s only a matter of time until the components I installed also go and I want this truck to be reliable and not a ticking time bomb.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forum @KevinC I run a 95 rig and just thinking about the belt routing, I can't think of a way to route the belt without the AC and with or without a vacuum pump. how did you route it before with the compressor removed and on the vacuum pump?

@WarWagon or @Will L. might have some pointers for you. only thing I can think of would be to use the old compressor you have and just replace the bearing in the pulley making it a sort of bypass pulley.

Post pics might help, but chances are you need to make an idler pulley mount there.

Everyone used to eliminate the vacuum pump because the new vacuum pumps didn’t last but a year. Also, everyone was just adding a mechanical loose controller for the turbo. You’re far better off using one of the other turbos instead of mechanical boost control on the GM turbo, a lot of proving options now. If you’re staying with the GM turbo G M, and I would suggest staying with the vacuum control. Otherwise you will need to diy a pulley mount and do a measurement for the new belt length.

There ued to be online hummer parts places that sold an a/c delete pulley. Not sure if still available and which you would need.

Back