• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 to vm638

here is a pic of one...only 2200EU new...
Detroit_Diesel_VM638.jpg

Thanks for that pic Pepper! That is it!

Mine has slight differences. I have v-belts, and a chevy bellhousing, which puts the starter on the other side. Also, mine is used... not near as purty!

Oh, and I have a little power steering pump neatly tucked in under the injector pump.
Then, I made brackets, and mounted a a/c compressor rite beside the injector pump.

Those individual Aluminum heads would have me slightly concerned... I do recall you saying that they have some slight cracking issues, how's that prevented.. ??

Those individual Aluminum heads would have me slightly concerned... I do recall you saying that they have some slight cracking issues, how's that prevented.. ??

It is all good for the most part... Except when coolant temps go too high. They can move around on their own, and not crack like a 1 piece head does.
As far as how to prevent cracking? Extra cooling, lower egt. Not alot else to do.

Is the "big" factory aluminum radiator like I put in mine sufficient for cooling .. ??

And did you say that you ran compounds on one of these before ??

Is the "big" factory aluminum radiator like I put in mine sufficient for cooling .. ??

And did you say that you ran compounds on one of these before ??

I am going with dodge parts. Air to air cooler and radiator. Should suffice!

Yes, compounds. I had an hx30/hx52 before. This time, just stepping it up a wee bit in attempt to control boost and egt. It ran over 70psi boost at over 1600 egt before. I word it this way simply because that is where my gauges pegged at...

And... For those who think they MUST raise pop pressure on injectors when raising boost pressure, this engine never had pop set higher to deal with the 70psi. This was my first diesel. I knew NOTHING about pop pressure and suchlike things. I just gave it air and fuel and drove the wheels off it.
Now, I will be raising pop pressure this time around, as we have learned it atomizes fuel much better.

Interesting experiment i did. Put the wrong delivery valves in the pump. Anything over 20psi boost, and it would shutdown. After investigation, I found air in the fuel lines. Compression was inseating the injectors. Instaling the correct delivery valves fixed that. But, it did prove the needle CAN be unseated with low pop pressures and incorrect pump mods!

I'm dout to say forget a teds engine in my trucks and get a couple of these. Maybe one for a tow rig and another for a dd.

Don't forget, unless you have a computer to control the engine, you gotta make these mechanical. Last pump I built for one was over $1k.

Talked with a friend who has one in his 99 k2500. He never ran hot egt or water temps, and still cracked a head.
That didn't make me feel very good. The nice part is, they are individual heads. When 1 cracks, you lift it out, clamp another one down, and continue on your merry way!

Back