• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 to 5.9 swap

I know plenty of cummins that didn't make the 150k mark. Imo a guy that knows the do's and donts of a 6.5l or has the right set up to do the donts can get decent life from a 6.5l especially when you put an optimizer block in the mix.

Source Unknown

Not to resurrect a long,dormant thread,but this one hits me square in the bread basket.... At damn near 55 yrs of age,I'm in no mood for laying out big bucks for a new,or newer to me diesel rig. Let's also clear the air about me real quickly- as far as I'm concerned,money out is money out-period... There's no free lunch in my world-period....and now,The Crusher- 3 words I can't stand are: Free,Cheap,and Rape ! Free ? I haven't found a pile of truly free things in Life,someone's bought and paid for 'em....Cheap ? Uhh,no,no way in Hell ! It's gonna come back to generally bite Your Rear-End off at the worst times.....Rape ? Unspeakable,especially when it comes to the particular piece of GM Rolling Stock You care about. Let's face it,if You didn't admit to the illness that the 6.2/6.5 GM Diesel is,well,You wouldn't be here right now. You shouldn't have to take it in the shorts by spending Big Bucks,and then wonder if Your Rig will reward You when You need it.....

I'm in debt to You Folks here. I've read my bitoot off and have more to do. But as far as the Conversion Option goes:

If I'm going to keep my '97 K2500 2WD Single Cab,with 274K on it,I'm arriving at the conclusion that:

1.) I'm not going into Major Hock for a new Diesel EPA Dreamboat
2.) If I'm going to keep it,then I'm going to Renew,Improve and Upgrade it's Reliability and use "Old Guy's Reliability and Standards Of Performance" Guidelines to do it System by System
3.) It appears,for me,that I'm going to have to Bite the Bullet and save up for a P-400. Yeah,the Mill alone is a ratpile of money,let alone all the other components that have to be strapped onto it. After doing my Homework here,the P-400 appears to be the best final rendition of this design,and it's how GM should've introduced it to the Buying Public way back when.
4.) The same theory goes for the 4L80E and the 14 Bolt Corporate Rear-End. My God,the damn thing's survived to 274K,I think it needs to be rewarded for all it's dependably done and been through !
5.) Let's not forget every damned line,hose and harness with connectors,the AC and Heat Systems and,'cause stopping seems to be a nice idea,the Total Brake System.

Ulp ! I'll bet I just peeled off atleast $20K worth of talking..... In the end,if I don't want to buy a New 40K Truck,and if I don't want to run and dump a never ending supply of rotting gas beaters,I guess this is just how this expensive little game is played. I just don't care for how trucks are now. I admit that when I started looking at Diesels,the (Ultimate Shame On Me!) pre-98 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel F-250 and 350 Trucks appealed to me. I've been a GM Man all my Life,and I just couldn't head down that road. If I don't/won't put out for a P-400,then it's time to scrap the rig.......I'm going "Unconverted".....Bob

Yes, I have a ton of money written off in my 1993. But it earned it in commercial service. Other than snap goes the crank or boom there went the cracked out bottom end... I can change out three surplus military 6.2 blocks for the cost of a P-400.

I see no need to spend ~$7,000.00 on an engine when I can get one for under $2000 dropped in with gapless rings and ARP head studs. My current engine was dropped back in with cracked mains years ago and one day I am sure it will give up. But will the truck get totaled (again), burn to the ground, or *ha ha* get stolen before the engine fails?

That said what requires the extra strength of the P-400? What going 1 million miles? Heavy use? Daily Driver with an oddball trip to the dump? Towing an RV full time? The truck needs a rebuild every 100K-200K. We are talking door pins and bushings and other oddball repairs let alone a finite life for diffs and transmissions. Further if you loose an injector the P-400 melts a piston just as fast as the 6.5 GM engines does.

Sometimes it's better to find a lower mile cared for truck and pay a premium for it. Or do what I do and buy them cheap with a pre-blown engine and drop in a freshened up used military surplus engine in. (Note public used 6.2/6.5 engines are usually junk this is why you get the military surplus engines that have been test run.)

When it's my money,and it's my rear end on the side of the road,it's my way...... The P400 was created for a reason,and after learning here,and the countless 6.5 failures posted here,I'll save and spend that $7K. I'm not interested in Mil Surp because it's cost and the unknowns of what state that mill truly lies in. My truck is worth the Reliability and the Safety in working all the time,in all situations,as best as is Humanly Possible. That's up to the Owner to decide through Maintenance,Treatment of the Rig,and just where the Financial Line is for that Individual. You have Yours,and I've got mine. I always enjoy Your Posts,but I'll be damned if I'd ever stand down from a printed or spoken opinion. I'll always have a dinner of food for thought,but I'll be damned if I'll have it rammed down my throat with a plunger.......

Not ramming anything down your throat. It is just a perspective and wondering why one would spend 2x the value of the truck on an improved engine. In light of 'failures' posted up everywhere there are also several GM engines going the distance. For that kind of additional money other platforms become within reach. And those platforms would have resale value that the the 6.5 simply won't have. This may not matter to you, but, I have already gone a round with the insurance co after totaling a truck with a rebuilt engine. Had to buy the truck back to get most of my money back - and was lucky it was available for that.

Having spent a small fortune on hot rodding my 1993 I would be interested in reasons for an improved engine. I'd take the 1993 to New York without hesitation. However I have other things that cause me issues on it from blown heater cores to worn out wiring. Poor replacement part quality for re-building the trucks has me doing lots of rework... This concerns me more than the engine itself.

p400 is without a doubt the best 6.5 made, so if you can afford it go for it. Its not about the money for some people. I know i'd rather have one p400 than have multiple take outs. But I am bias toward getting the best whatever it may be.

I think time vs money issue also plays in. When i was younger i thought nothing of an engine in jan., then again in march for improvements. Now, forget it. I'm currently paying for a simple radiator swap because i didnt have the time.

The value of the truck too. I can get 20k easy for my rig now so a few grand more for resale with the best version upgrade would pay for itself. If it is a $4,000 pick up not so easy. Now what if you drop it in and run it carefree for next 10 years of average use- thats worth some investment, how much is by the person.

I think time vs money issue also plays in. When i was younger i thought nothing of an engine in jan., then again in march for improvements. Now, forget it. I'm currently paying for a simple radiator swap because i didnt have the time.

The value of the truck too. I can get 20k easy for my rig now so a few grand more for resale with the best version upgrade would pay for itself. If it is a $4,000 pick up not so easy. Now what if you drop it in and run it carefree for next 10 years of average use- thats worth some investment, how much is by the person.

Yep, time and it's value is everything. I'd go with the P400 and forged crank. Do it once and do it right.

Back