• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 to 5.9 Cummins Alternator Help

I just noticed this. I was rereading the posts. My truck is doing the same. I haven't tried jumping power from the battery to the regulator tho. So you're thinking of running an ignition relay to trigger straight battery power to the regulator? Please let me know how this works out!
Clean signal for exciter "ign on" is required so running the "ign on" only to switch the relay guarantees a clean power source from battery to regulator however; battery terminals should be clean.

Hey guys. So not sure if I mentioned it, I finally got the dash tach to work. I was messing with the dakota digital unit for ages & finally said screw it. Hooked the tach in signal for the gauge directly to the cummins w terminal & it's working! Does anyone know if this will provide accurate tach readings or not? It says its idling at 800 but to me it sounds like its idling higher. However, I am not too familiar with cummins so I could be wrong.

Still trying to get the CPS from the cummins to read correctly. The EZ TCU unit I purchased is working great, but its providing full line pressure all the time as it doesn't know what the engine rpm is. Would work much better with that.

I wired the crank position sensor up with 5 volts in, ground, then the sensor return goes to the Dakota Digital unit. However, here is what's stumping me. 5 volts goes in, I'm reading 7 to 8 volts out. Is there a way to test the crank position sensor before purchasing a new one? Should I be feeding the sensor more than 5 volts?

Reading the schematics, it looked like the dodge pcm sends 5v in, then it reads off what is returned. My understanding is it would be lower than 5v?

Anyways, thoughts are appreciated!

The best way to check your rpm's is with a Mini Tach which attaches to a single straight run of fuel line and measures injection pulses which corresponds with your exact rpm.

Back