• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 stuttering from stand still. Smooth otherwise

Absolutely not making fun of or trying to give you a hard time, Trying to offer best advice that I can.

I have seen many people pour a lot of money into a rig, only to go deeper in the hole and have issues that made it worse. Done it myself more than once. Happy to try to help you make it best you can.

Most of us on here are in for the long haul. We have a love hate relationship, some days we love them some days we hate them. In all honesty though if you are looking at it strictly from a dollars stand point your are most likely further ahead with a gas engine truck. Most of us don't care what they could sell their trucks for.

Well I hope you enjoy laughing at my expense. I’ve put a lot into this truck and truly like it. I just want a dependable truck. I can’t afford a new truck. Great for you if can. I was looking for help and advice. I saw on another forum where the AC delco was great for a stock truck. Like mine. I guess I’ll look for help elsewhere. God Bless
I didnt hear anyone laughing. Just solid advice is what I had seen given.
I was not making fun of You with My remarks about not buying a newer truck. I too have dumped a LOT of money into this truck and will continue to do so until it is right and fully dependable. So make fun of that if You like, I really dont give a darn.

Most of us on here are in for the long haul. We have a love hate relationship, some days we love them some days we hate them. In all honesty though if you are looking at it strictly from a dollars stand point your are most likely further ahead with a gas engine truck. Most of us don't care what they could sell their trucks for.

I just want to get my son’s ‘94 back running so I can experience a broken crank failure. Then throw the back up engine in and run it for another 200K miles and do the same, calling it good.

could a bad pmd cable possibly cause the problem. I just found that my clip came off and the cable was damaged. So far with a new one it seems fine. I'm letting it warm up and gonna try again. It doesn't do it all the time, just randomly.

Try jiggling the connections at both ends while it's idling see if cuts out. I had a bad from another vendor wasn't crimped on one end gave me fits for a long time till I found it.

I already had a new pmd cable. So far after installing the new cable it has worked fine. I tried it right away and it was good, then I let the truck heat up and still good. I just tried jiggling this cable and it didn't miss a beat on either end. I know I may need a more powerful lp, but if this will keep me going until I can get the money together. I'm looking at the raptor and maybe the Feed the Beast unit from Leroy Diesel. The videos really help someone like me that is not a mechanic to be able to do the work. I'm going to try to take in to town today and see how it does. I've just been testing around here at lower speeds. Thanks for the all the help!

Well so far so good. Went to town, no problems at all. Multiple places, start stop etc. Hopefully this was the major problem. I will be saving for the the performance lp etc. I appreciate all the help!

Well I hope you enjoy laughing at my expense. I’ve put a lot into this truck and truly like it. I just want a dependable truck. I can’t afford a new truck. Great for you if can. I was looking for help and advice. I saw on another forum where the AC delco was great for a stock truck. Like mine. I guess I’ll look for help elsewhere. God Bless

There is a difference between Cheap and Frugal. Also making enough time to do it right the first time because there always is enough time to do it over. There are things some have to learn the hard way and maybe just never learn.

Wanting a dependable truck and being cheap isn't going to work out no matter what you want. Fleet use has a 1/2 ton V6 GM pickup more or less used up at 250K miles with decent maintenance. Accounting numbers for repair and reliability (downtime costs money) say junk the damn thing at 250K unless it pukes something expensive before 250K. The exception was engine failures on the 4.3L V6 as they generally made 250K. They got decent fuel economy over the V8's in fleet use. Not MPG as the trucks were rented by the hour on some jobs and could idle all day.

GM's value engineered diesels: GM diesels are the engines that put Lemon Laws in writing on the books. Statistically they don't do so well. Point of fact the GM cast 6.2 and 6.5 engine is considered scrap in the engine rebuilding world as they are usually cracked to death. Yes, GM made some cheap expendable diesel engines that ruined the North American Diesel Market for 20+ years. There isn't one damn thing that's funny about it, period.

You, collectively we, are further handicapped by the lack of good parts available to keep these old trucks running. Lots of painted over wore out junk out there and suppliers of such happy to let you do the job over.

I can understand the blunt shock you may experience from Cold Hard Reality being presented here. The local parts store promoted the commercial parts person to store manager because I purchased more than 3 local shops combined in parts to keep a couple 6.5 rigs running in the 200K mile range. Parts exceeded $1000 a month so not just a new 1/2 ton reg cab V6 base model truck payment but a 1 Ton diesel new truck payment. As you appear to have to pay "labor" I suggest this gets more expensive.

That said I would suggest you be a little nicer to the messengers. Most of us are sympathetic and have a soft spot for these forgotten diesels.

I would cry a river of tears if I had to ever scrap even one 6.5 diesel engine.
I pray that when and if the time comes that I have to do a rebuild on the engine thats in My truck, that it aint cracked all to crap.
On the mention of the GM diesel and the lemon law.
That is why Dodge sold so many trucks when they first came out with the 5.9 Cummins in 1989, IIRC. They could not keep a diesel truck on the lot for one day. They was getting snapped up as fast as they were unloaded off the transport.

Nothing against all the increase fuel supply mods (FTB) and I'm sure it technically is an improvement. However I do sometimes ponder just how necessary for some moving to a non stock style pump and the necessary plumbing adaptations is. I run fully loaded with tools all the time and pull a trailer once in a while and a high output stock pump so far is working fine. Heck I drove to Michigan once with a trailer only to realise when I got there that my lift pump was not even working. Granted I am not in the mid to high end weight trailer stakes but for many when I start seeing all the change plumbing/mounting pumps I do start to wonder.

Cheers
Nobby

Back