• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 out of 94 in 83

Landon730

Reaction score
I have two trucks, the 94 is a parts truck and the 83 is my daily. I blew the head gaskets on the 83 the other day and I'm not sure what shape the motor is in. It overheated BAAAD. I know that the motor in the 94 is a awesome motor. My concern is I need this done in 1-2 weekends. Will the tranny in the 83 work with the 6.5 out of the 94? I already know the turbo won't because of A/C. I did hear one time about the stuff for A/C off the gmt400's work in the squarebodys? Keep in mind I have a entire parts truck here. Both a auto trannys 2wd. I need a list of anything that could go wrong. Manifolds off of 6.2 and intake are going to go onto the 6.5 unless I can make the turbo work which would be AWESOME

AC is the killer for turbo installation from what I've heard. Only other issue I can think of might be oil pan but you have 2wd so I don't think it's an issue

AC is the killer for turbo installation from what I've heard. Only other issue I can think of might be oil pan but you have 2wd so I don't think it's an issue
So with the 6.2 intake and manifolds I should have no problems? Do I need to use the tranny out of the 94? I heard torque converters and bellhousings are different

The tranny is my main concern. I can use all the old accessories and the old manifolds and intake unless I can make the serpentine work (which would be awesome) . Will the oil pan off the 6.2 bolt onto the 6.5? Heres my list of concerns right now. I have to have this truck going in max week and a half working around school
1. Tranny
2. Oil pan
3. Torque Converter
4. Bell housing

Old tranny should bolt right up
Oil pan should be fine. Old oilpan won't fit new engine, different crank seal
Use the old torque converter
Bell housing is the same

Oil pans have different rear main seals and drain plug is on other side.

The heads have different injector angles so decide now if you are running 6.2 long body or short 6.5 injectors. you are screwed either way as DS4 lines don't work on DB2. You can bend the 6.2 lines, but, will have to measure if long or short fit better with the head angles.

FWIW you likely cracked a head on the 6.2.

I have bolted many 84 85 6.2's to 1993 and 1995 trucks. Watch the oil cooler ports as the have different sizes for some years.

Last edited:
Not to hijack your thread, but I am wanting to basically do the same thing in a K5. Anyone know how tall the center mount turbo mounts are? What about running center mount and a cowl hood?

A custom centermounted ATT or the like, ok. Stock gm centermount- why? It’ll probably be the weekend, but I can measure mine for ya.

A custom centermounted ATT or the like, ok. Stock gm centermount- why? It’ll probably be the weekend, but I can measure mine for ya.

Well I thought serpentine setup got in the way of using the 6.2 turbo manifold and using the 6.5 manifold makes the turbo or downpipe hit the evaporator box. So was curious if anyone has looked into doing a center mount 6.5 in a square body. Center mount are different heads though, yeah?

Back