• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 our 6.2 in

Jokerfire554

Reaction score
Just got a 95 2500 4l80e 4x4 Chevy truck that had a 6.5 turbo in it. It was removed by the previous owner and I have a 6.2 with only 9000 miles on it here out of a 86 cucv. What do I need to do to get the 6.2 to work with the 4l80? I have none of the original motor or parts. Any help is greatly appreciate.

You would have to get a stand alone controller for the transmission since the 6.2 has a db2 ip. Leroy Diesel is a site vendor and has a good price for the controller.

You could buy a ds4 ip and hook it up to the wiring harnesses in the truck and not need a stand alone controller. Some here like the db2 ip and some like the ds4 ip. It really depends on Personel preference.

The ones on here that have more experience than me can help you out a little more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. All I’d need is the IP? That would probably be my cheaper way. Only want it for a farm and firewood truck. As soon as I find a good 4l80e for my old truck i already plan to order a controller for it from him.

We need a better inventory of your truck. Do you still have the ecm, complete harness, pmd, etc? Maybe post multiple pics of engine bay showing everything...

I am in the db2 fan group. Far simpler. Just stand alone for trans but you need a mechanical throttle pedal (& cable) too. Ds4 uses electronic pedal. Not sure what gauges- might need different sensors.

For ds4:
If your truck has all other parts, then ds4 ip, need cps, and replace lower timing gear for one with sensor gear. Some timing covers didn’t have hole for the cps.

Sure there is some more on both sides, just tired and can’t think good right now.

Something HUGE is find out if smog check or any required inspections will need to be done Because if you convert to db2, the obd2 plug in becomes worthless for engine checks and diagnostic. Here in Southern Nevada, you cant get it registered, so I am stuck with no newer than 92 trucks and 95 hummer.

I’ll try to get pics soon but am out of town right now. Harness seems to be complete except for glow plugs wires are cut. No smog inspection here. I have a petal and cable from a 91 and a 86.

Welcome to The Truck Stop, Jokerfire554.

Great group of guys on here that can really help you, looks like they have already gave you some feedback on your information request.

I’m so thankful for any and all help I can get on any of this. The information shared is priceless in my opinion. I’ve been studying and getting info for a while but felt I needed to go ahead and register as I have 6 bigger projects rolling in and will definitely need to talk about them with others and share what I learn when I can. Thanks again.

The biggest difference is already covered: IP. Think of a 6.5 as a bored out 6.2. injectors are taller and heads have different injector angle. Only matters for turbo setups. NA precups limit big fuel and turbos.

You have the manifolds? Going Turbo or NA? You have ANY idea what a gutless "can't get out of its own way" a NA 6.2 is? Just saying.

IMO stay DB2 with stand alone controller.

I have nothing of the 6.5. I know the 6.2 very well as I’ve had 8 of them and I know the weaknesses but as I said I need a farm/ firewood truck. Not really looking to dump 600 + dollar in a control for that I’m just trying to part something together. I have both ips here. Just a thought; how hard to put a th400 in this truck? I have one on the back of that 6.2 now.

If 2 wheel drive, just modify driveline and crossmember.
Then display is off: OD is reall drive. D is really 2, and 3 is really first.

Two transmissions use different adapters to the different xfer cases.
It could quickly going to become more expensive to use th400 than 4l80e.

Around here custom driveline built and balanced is $200 ea. With new ujoints. If the th400 is with a married transfer case, then $400 for just drivelines. Then it is question of what parts do you have around. Good trans mount with 400? Some scrap metal and can you build your own crossmember? Is the th400 2wd?

Imo sell the th400and transfer case with it to offset chunk of the cost of 4l80e stand alone computer.

There is always the manual switch trick, but holy mackeral what a pain to drive.

I am far from a farm guy, learning most of what I know of it fron the tv show Green Acres. So, a little help on what a farm truck does. If mpg or longer life counts, and I only guess 4wd is better on a farm- 4l80 wins hands down. Th400 is just older and no computer.

$600ish is not all saved. A chunk will be spent to swap out the other trans. In parts alone. Then how much is your labor worth taking a few days to get it all done and work out any kinks.

You can still do the th400 if there is a big reason for doing it. But it will cost money.

I meant to say in my previous post but didn’t:
You have to decide what will be best to work with and figure a few hundred dollars more now vs headaches.

Back