• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 on Craigslist

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I found a 6.5 on CL in my area. It is out of a 99 with everything still attached (AC, Alt, Harness, computer, etc). The auto transmission is also still attached. I spoke to the guy tonight and he runs a tree service and this was in one of his trucks that got totaled (no front end damage). The truck only had 70k on it when it was in the accident. He said it has been sitting outside in the elements for 2 years now. I haven't been to see it yet. I have only seen the pics on CL. The alt does look like it has a little rust on it. Not sure how the harness and computer faired either. He is asking $2400 for everything. Is there that much value there? If I can get it cheap enough I can sell what I don't need to help pay for my rebuild. What do you guy's think?

Just my opinion...that engine looks pretty rough...if it's been out in elements for 2 years rodents probably got in it..and blocks probably full of water..pull the dip stick..see if it's oil ..water...both..or just colored...everything external is probably trashed..BUT...it never hurts to go take a look...I'd definitely be trying to get him down on the price though... personally I'd tell him your taking a heck of a risk but are willing to negotiate. Not sure if I believe the milage ... Only seventy thousand on a 20 year old truck sounds far-fetched...mines a 97 and has 220,000.. like I said just my opinion

Yeah I was curious about that with the water pump thought my eyes were playing tricks on me from being overtired

Freeze damage, or possibly the impeller came apart at speed (I saw a Kirby vacuum cleaner do something similar after ingesting a quarter and blowing it out through the side of the metal housing). I would be looking damn close at the freeze plugs in the block for signs of expansion/leakage as well as checking the dipstick for signs of water in the oil and if you can drop the pan, for cracking of the block near the water jackets.

Yeah, not hearing it run and sitting that long..
i bought my van engine with under 70k on it about 5-6 years ago. But the van with the broken frame was there where I could see why the good engine came out.
Broken waterpump could have been wierd accident while It was sitting collecting rain water through the cloth rags of the turbo and such. But that is hard to pay that much for it.

If you can open it up, consider it. Know that you aren’t just dropping that in. Without some inspection and work.

I know the difference of the truck turbo/ intake/ heads has its value, but there are centermount engines with trans and sometimes transfer case for that price and less with verifiable mileage and proven reasons of Cummins or duramax conversion.

Others like this one is just engine with 56k miles for $1500 so this is like buying a short block and you ebay the heads, manifolds and turbo for someone wanting to turbo there n/a hummer or boat. Ya might snag the diamond precups, spin on waterpump, etc while at it.

Otherwise buy an optimizer take out.
F4B45D33-FD11-4D9C-89D6-D9F1ABA0C485.png

Front end collision would do that kind of damage notice the lower left pulley is damaged too?
So could accidentally dropping it off the hoist, swinging it into another solid object during removal, or falling over in the back of the vehicle while unsecured.

Any way you look at it, be very, very wary and leery of the "history" and condition of this motor. Voice your concerns and offer no more than what you're willing to eat if it turns out to be a lemon.

Given that fact set, offer him $500 for all of it. The transmission should be good. If he does not accept, then walk. 2 more years in the elements and he's staring at $0. It's not a big market for that engine.

I dunno could be a diamond in the rough, in my world I work on/come across old stuff that has been outside for years and I am usually surprised at how well stuff has fared. I concur with the price being too high, the risk you are taking and electrics being questionable but it still is what it is, put it this way I would not sell it for 500.00 engine and trans with that back story. Whats the price in your area at the breakers for an engine alone with who knows what history?

LOL that being said I also would not store outside without some form of cover.

Cheers
Nobby

Starter mount could be broken - take a look at the starter mount... Engine mounts could be broken clean out from wreck. What's behind the water pump - you know this from the teardown you did. Last couple of Elk Ole Patch slaughtered pounded the water pump shaft into the timing case cover. Behind that is the cam gear, possible bent cam snout, shattered castings on the block...

You can't see the wreck and the fact it did or did not hit a brick wall.

Cast iron like the block doesn't bend: it cracks, breaks, or shatters like the water pump did. My project truck I bought a $200 6.2 local and the heads were the only good part on it as the starter busted the block. The rest of the stuff is a PIA to resell on CL or fleabay, but, I have my $200 back from it and "free" heads.

The least "pain" to get up and running is getting a military surplus 6.2 from Ted's because a 6.5 is just a punched out 6.2, ask them to put 6.5 heads on it or if your heads are good use them... Again 6.2's are the unloved cheaper engines because everyone wants a 6.5 and overlook the cheaper 6.2 stuff. With a stock turbo you don't even need more than NA precups. (Salt in wounds will your son tear it up before it's time again as he learns the hard lessons of life? My age and I still tear engines up...)

Or get a 6.5 from Teds for the ~$1500 more. These surplus engine have half the miles (~30K), are tested and warrantied, and military maintained. Rings due to use may be toast from heat - running hot in a Hummer.

~$500 6.2 Shipping was "free" due to Black Friday sale...

$2000 for 6.2. Teds
~$100 diamand precups and 6.5 heads were just luck
$600 head work that wasn't really needed, but, as I run high RPM due to a Yank stall new springs were a must this time.
$200 gasket kit from parts store

$6.2 ring set are cheap NOS on ebay
~$500 TotalSeal Gapless rings
$100 for 8 NOS 6.2 pistons - maybe less I mentioned 6.2 NOS eBay was cheap, right?
$160 to coat the piston tops

$ARP head studs or new TTY head bolts.

Just my opinion...that engine looks pretty rough...if it's been out in elements for 2 years rodents probably got in it..and blocks probably full of water..pull the dip stick..see if it's oil ..water...both..or just colored...everything external is probably trashed..BUT...it never hurts to go take a look...I'd definitely be trying to get him down on the price though... personally I'd tell him your taking a heck of a risk but are willing to negotiate. Not sure if I believe the milage ... Only seventy thousand on a 20 year old truck sounds far-fetched...mines a 97 and has 220,000.. like I said just my opinion

My 98 K3500

Attachments

• 98 odo.png
    98 odo.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 5
Back