• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 newbie with what appears to be a blown turbo- what say you?

Sentinelist

Reaction score
Hey guys- first time 6.5 owner here and I'm loving the truck that I've had for 2 months now. It's a 1993 K3500 quad-cab, long-bed, SRW w/ 278k mi. Pic for clicks:

11699620675_8c7bc11ed9_o.jpg

I just took a trip from Dallas up to Denver last weekend to pick up a camper, and seemingly blew the turbo as soon as I got up there while going freeway speeds. In a nutshell, the ride started shuddering at speed like I was on bumpy pavement. I changed lanes, same thing. WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB! No other vehicles were doing that... oh hey, it's my exit! Fast forward to post-camper-install, and as bad luck would have it, the engine starts running like crap after it's pulled out of the bay. And then practically not running at all. Maybe for 30 seconds, then it dies like it's being starved of air/fuel. Annoying, as this truck has run bulletproof for 2 months and all the way up from Texas. I start searching online, reading about maybe how it's the lift pump. Tested it at the T-fitting (got the techs involved at this point), got fuel up. Even got a bit in a can, dumped it on the ground, and tried to light it. No go, so no sabotage. On the next crank, one of the guys floored it for the 10 seconds it ran and dumped CRAZY white smoke out of the exhaust- they had to open the other bay doors to air the place out. WTF. Checked the oil, as I did the day before halfway there and it was fine... no coolant (phew), but it was 2.5L low! Below the add line! WTF. No oil on the ground beyond its normal tablespoon or three. Certainly not 2.5L lying around anywhere- would have been obvious. It was further obvious that it was burning out of the exhaust. We all went 'turbo'.

After filling the engine back up with oil, it finally idled like normal again with no smoke- what a relief. But I couldn't get into the boost without the engine wanting to die again or at least shudder like hell. So it ran, it moved, and in the mile-high altitude, I was able to get it up on I-25 down the road up to 55mph smoothly, but nothing more. Major hills and passes dropped me down to 45mph without engine complaints. I nursed it home all the way to Dallas like that over 1.5 days, but didn't ever have to add any further oil, because I stayed out of the boost.

SO. Is the whole turbo shot? Or just a waste gate or o-ring? Could it possibly be vacuum related at this point? Any tips or tricks would be highly welcome before I pull the trigger on a new turbo- hoping to have it back on the road at full power in a week. I'm looking at the GM-3 unit at SSdiesel unless you guys can recommend better. Just looking for OE-quality replacement as this engine will not be modded. It's meant to be a robust and reliable truck camper, no drag racer or out to win any shows. Please let me know what you guys think- many thanks.

P.s.: This thing has a recently rebuilt IP and glow plugs from SSdiesel, but not much else- how long do these 6.5s typically go before needing a rebuild?

Welcome to the Truck Stop! :thumbsup: Nice camper.

Stay away from SS Diesel.

Why replace the GM-3 with another GM-3 when you can upgrade your turbo. Look into the ATT turbo, leroy diesel has them from this site. I am sure he will pipe in soon enough. I upgraded my GM-3 with a used GM-8, it is a lot better than a GM-3.

Find the run threw checklist and post it up.

A bunch of good 6.5TD experts on here that will get you up and running in no time.

If you want a robust towing/pulling truck I suggest you get rid of the POS stock turbo, an ATT is likely cheaper than SS Junks turbo. Being a 93 I doubt you have a pmd problem since you don't have a PMD. I'd be looking at tank sock clogging, fuel filter, or air in fuel. No turbo get you black smoke not shuddering while driving. There is also no way to stay out of the boost, they run 2psi down the highway and it takes 5-6 w/ no load and easy throttle to get up to speed.

If you want a robust towing/pulling truck I suggest you get rid of the POS stock turbo, an ATT is likely cheaper than SS Junks turbo. Being a 93 I doubt you have a pmd problem since you don't have a PMD. I'd be looking at tank sock clogging, fuel filter, or air in fuel. No turbo get you black smoke not shuddering while driving. There is also no way to stay out of the boost, they run 2psi down the highway and it takes 5-6 w/ no load and easy throttle to get up to speed.

Welcome!
X2. Gauges should be on the list as well to help keep you out of trouble and your injectors. 100k miles is the limit on injectors.

Of hand its not a turbo problem , but if your going to be using your camper an ATT will help you alot and raise your MPGs enough to pay for it. Its also a bolt on complete kit. IMO its a no brainer when you look at cost to buy one. I also make an adaptor for the intake if you don't want to mod you upper.

With that said:
It does seem for like a fuel delivery problem. Check all of it.
X3 on gauge.

Check my site and buy one of each while your there :hihi:
www.leroydiesel.com

Forgot to say 93 won't have a vac system, but you want to check the waste gate to make sure it moves and the spring is working.

Sounds like a fuel restriction to me. You could have a bad seal in the turbo though too. If you lost that much oil. Could always take it apart and check or at the very least check for shaft play. Could look at the tank sock, bad lift pump ( if you haven't bypassed the OPS with a relay that could be likely ) clogged fuel filter, could be a host of things. And a rebuilt injection pump from SS Diesel needs a true rebuild about every 5 miles or so haha Definately stay away from SS Diesel. There are a lot more reputable shops that can be recommended here.

Take off the turbo inlet and see if the compressor wheel can be moved in and out and up and down, if you lost 2.5L of oil and you have no oil leaks, sounds like the turbo let go.

I would look at Holsets, HX40's or some like the ATT. Really, any turbo beats the stocker, lol.

You guys are as awesome as I'd hoped, I don't care what they say about you! Alright, sounds like I need to go check some things this weekend and update back. I appreciate the confirmations on not having the PMD or vacuum system, that helps. Gimme a day or two and I'll let you know. Leroy, that ATT looks pretty sweet, but hopefully I won't have to buy it! If I do, I'll get it from you. Back shortly!

Awesome. Let me know. BTW I was just tring to inform that IMO "IF" you need to buy a new turbo anyway the ATT is a great value.

x4, it is a fuel system issue of some sort. If I recall right white smoke = Air in the fuel. The fuel system on these works like vehicle brakes, under pressure, air is bad, as it compresses, where the fluid just pressurizes(sp?)

BTW, I too have a 93, and they are somewhat different than all of the other years as far as fuel delivery goes, no vacuumn pump, non vacuum waste gate, ect. I put a new rebuilt engine, and injector pump, injectors and such in mine about 1 year ago, so if you need further help, PM me, and I will shoot you my phone number.

I didnt see that you verified the lift pump is working. You want to make sure it is pumping up to the injection pump. I can hear mine running after I shut down for a few seconds. I also had to replace this with the engine replacement, as the previous owner(PO) had it disconnected at the power connector at the pump, and when I plugged it in, it didnt work. I was still getting fluid to the injection pump, and out the "T" fitting even without the lift pump working somehow, but I noticed a substantial change after I replaced it.

I'll certainly check the wastegate, ak. Jeff, thanks- I have gotten a couple of tanks of diesel through, but is there still a way for air to remain in the system? I don't recall much pressure of fuel through the t-fitting when tested so now I'm wondering if it's indeed the lift pump and/or clogged filter... But where did all that oil go? And where is the fuel filter, btw?

I found the checklist and will try and get that posted up this weekend.

Fuel Filter Maneger = FFM is back close to where a distributor would be on a gasser.

Where in Texas you from.

the only factory turbo's you should even consider buying is a GM-5 through GM-8. all GM turbo's are pretty restrictive, so if you want to buy a NEW turbo for your pet truck, I would highly recommend plunking down on an ATT. if you are on a low $ budget, a good Gm5 - Gm-8 would be better than what you have now.

welcome to the forum!

also, as the resident manual transmission enthusiast, I must ask, auto or 5 speed? :)

Thanks, guy- that's what I'm starting to find out. Will I lose any low end with the ATT vs. a GM-8? If the difference between the most ideal snail for my rig is a couple hundred or less, I'll get the better one if it comes down to the turbo. Plus exhaust.

It's an auto! And I'm actually trying to find out which trans I have- should be the original. Works beautifully after a recent service but likely rebuilt at some point in its life. Y'know, I wish it were a manual. Cool that yours is! That's pretty rare. I used to always have a manual vehicle and recently that hasn't worked out- still trying to remedy that again at some point. But this way the wife is more comfortable driving it if she has to.

The ATT wont technically loose bottom end, the 6.5L has enough torque that it pulls good before boost comes on. It will move your power band a bit higher in the RPM range but that is where the 6.5L likes to run, they weren't built with a strong enough crank/bottom end to take much low rpm lugging. There are a lot of people that tow almost daily with the ATT and have no complaints.

Back