• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 newbie with what appears to be a blown turbo- what say you?

When you disconnect filler neck you can drop a few inches to access the top of tank, but IIRC the fuel line connections are out to the side and the FSU connector is on the frame, so you really dont need to drop tank until thats done.

Well you guys will love this... it was the OPS! Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. A $50 AC/Delco part from the Chebby dealer plus 30 minutes of my time and the truck is back to running like a champ. I'm going to have to get another one of these as a spare. I pulled the OPS out and the plastic top had halfway torn off the metal base, opening like a clamshell. The first crank after replacement resulted in a stall 10 seconds later again, but the second crank and holding the throttle at 2k resulted in the winner. I let it warm up at idle, and even held it at 3k for 1 minute- smooth sailing. A 2 mile test drive and even a brief WOT run up to 55mph out of my neighborhood saw no smoke- felt like its normal self. Oil level remains good. Not sure if a malfunctioning OPS caused it to burn a lot on my trip (still up in the air), but it's part of that system I suppose.

Fear not, Leroy- I don't plan on making any returns. :) In celebration of my momentous and sudden resolution, I'm now looking forward to upgrades and preventative maintenance that I've learned a lot about up to this point. The parts are all reasonably priced and will make my rig stronger, more dependable and easier to work on, so I'll be getting these on soon before our first trip with it. I've got a few other tasks I need to get working on the next few weeks, but can't wait to see what that turbo and exhaust will feel like- will post an update then. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, especially Leroy's. Cheers!

Get the Ops on a relay, there are instructions hidden on here somewhere.
For burning too much oil: a plugged air filter will cause more oil vapors to be sucked through the cdr. Also a bad cdr can cause excessive oil usage.

If none of those work you can always try running seafoam in the oil for last 500 miles of an oil change and see if it cleans it up.

Source Unknown

Before you do the upgrades, do a 0-60 mph run, 1/4 mile if you can. Also mpg.

Then all again after turbo is broke in.

Glad you got it running.

Back