• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Military pump install on my 6.2 turbo setup?

turbovanman

I has boost, :O)
Reaction score
Do I have to do anything to it, IE turn it up or will it be fine as it. Will be running a remote mount stock GM turbo.

Also, how can I set the timing on it?

I know the difference between the normal and the military version is the military's is made with harder parts. the 6.5 pump also has a larger bore so it'll put out more fuel.

Last edited:
i know somewhere in the 6.5 section it has the difference between the 2 IPs. now where it is, a whole different story. you should be able to turn the 6.5's pump down a bit if your getting to much fuel.

If the MIL IP was on an N/A engine you will need to turn up the fuel a tad.

About 1/4 turn on the fuel screw.

There is a little plate on the RH side of the IP. Remove it and then turn the pump until the screw apears in the opening.

Turn the screw 1/4 turn Clock Wise.

This will set the fuel to a good happy place.

The timimg can be set close by aligning the scribe mark on the IP with the mark on the timing cover.

To get it any closer you will need to use a Pulse activated timing light and check the timing similar to how you do a gasser.

about 5 degrees BTDC is about right I think. (with Cold advance shut off) (warm engine)

Hope this helps

Missy

I would say so. The Kent Moore Tool Missy is referring to are as far as I know rare. See one on eBay once in a blue moon. Sorry I didn't grab the last one I saw. The 6.2s are not a finicky engine. I have always been able to tweak them "by ear". Wanna get her sounding just a touch marbley. Too smooth and it probably won't start good. I have yet to see one run good with marks lined up IIRC I think I always need a slight to the drivers side and it ran nice.

Pensacola has the best prices. I think they quoted me around 300 for a 6.2 DB2 but you may want to consider the DB2 used on the 93 6.5s. Thnk they pump a little more fuel. Slightly bigger plungers.

I'm curiuos to see how the Holset works out for you. I have been eye balling the same thing but with a Banks ex manifold instead.

Pensacola has the best prices. I think they quoted me around 300 for a 6.2 DB2 but you may want to consider the DB2 used on the 93 6.5s. Thnk they pump a little more fuel. Slightly bigger plungers.

I googled them and came up with some bad press, :(

I'm curiuos to see how the Holset works out for you. I have been eye balling the same thing but with a Banks ex manifold instead.

It won't be for awhile now, I finally killed my Caravan so need to get the diesel running first, fix the Caravan then turbo the diesel, I want to go racing down south and go camping next year so I'll need the power.

Last edited:
The 4911 pumps from the 92-93 6.5's have .310" plungers and will push far more fuel.

Stock 4911 will work great in factory trim on a turbo 6.2

Missy

Back