• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 gets thumbs up from Cummins

Leo, did you build the BBQ in your avatar?

I love it!! I want to see how it cooks... when do I show up?

I built it for a neighbor Jim, he likes to BBQ whole pigs and 1/4's of beef for big bashes. It hasn't been put to the test yet. I'll keep you in mind:thumbsup:

Art, that is a good use for an old block, good imagination.

Leo

BBQ, I thought it was a crematoreum on wheels :D, it's certainly big enough for that. what weeks of the year ya'll BBQ up there with all the snow you get any warm weather time to roast a pig ?

July 15&16 are usually warm enough for you southeners. Us Canucks BBQ when we get the urge.:thumbsup:):h
We have no choice:D

Leo

I was in SK (Moosejaw) working on some new gas turbine engine startups on the TCPL for 3 weeks & left day before Christmas eve, and couple of times turbine jobs in Calgary, & Halifax dockyards/base on some gas turbine frigates BRRRRRRRR ya'll be sure & enjoy it for me, makes one want full force global warming, I'm, very much enjoying the new gig working on Diesel locomotives in South Ga., but I digress.

TurbineDoc, please tell me you aren't serious about the weather? :rolleyes5:
i don't know how many americans i have met that think we have snow year round. hmmm. i got a great idea. hold a 6.5 rally in the Okanagan valley this august or september. that way you will all get to see what it's like up here and i will get to see some schweet 6.5's including the ATT setups. :thumbsup:

but seriously, where i live, the snow has been gone for well over two months. summer time temperatures will hit low 40's C in the shade. ):h

Don't want to hear that, NT... I got snowed on 3 days ago!! 30 cm of the white crap!

on edit: of course, it's all gone now, except for the stuff in the shade.

If you don't like the weather in Alberta, wait 10 minutes... it'll change :D

TurbineDoc, please tell me you aren't serious about the weather? :rolleyes5:
i don't know how many americans i have met that think we have snow year round. hmmm. i got a great idea. hold a 6.5 rally in the Okanagan valley this august or september. that way you will all get to see what it's like up here and i will get to see some schweet 6.5's including the ATT setups. :thumbsup:

but seriously, where i live, the snow has been gone for well over two months. summer time temperatures will hit low 40's C in the shade. ):h

No I've been up there during the warm weather as well, Jifaire had recently posted some new snow pics that fell last week IIRC, which got me on a roll, weather is something I deal with as it comes, whether I'm working near artic/ antartic circles or equatorial regions, I've worked in them all. I just deal with it, though I'm more partial to warmer climates after homesteading in Ms, since 1986, when your het is on mine is off, and when my ac is on full time yous is off, both climates have plus/minus to em

agreed. love the warm weather. that's why i live where i am. ):h

artic and anartic? what kind of work do you do?

Don't want to hear that, NT... I got snowed on 3 days ago!! 30 cm of the white crap!

on edit: of course, it's all gone now, except for the stuff in the shade.

If you don't like the weather in Alberta, wait 10 minutes... it'll change :D

You lucky SOB. I would take moisture in any form right now. We've had about 4-5 inches total since last June.

Leo

agreed. love the warm weather. that's why i live where i am. ):h

artic and anartic? what kind of work do you do?

Can't tell you what I used to do, it's a secret & I'd have to maybe kill you, :D (sometimes secret stuff any way) now I run a Diesel locomotive repair shop for CSX railroad/GE I used to be one of the traveling trouble shooters for the world (logged almost 2 million miles since 1986 in planes) in a former job with GE fixing aero-derivative turbines hence name "turbine doc" I used to heal them when they were sick.

LOL, TD, I appreciate you not telling me then!

JiFaire : I spent a year in Stony Plain. Now I am back. Need I say more? LOL. Still love Alberta, just the weather was a bit wacky and cold for me. Not to mention, where I live, a 10-30 minute drive will bring you any number of lakes with countless beautiful beaches. Out where I lived in AB, you had to drive 20 minutes to play in a....slough.

The thing is, Mikey, we fix these "obsolete 6.5's" because we can.

Parts are cheap, the mechanics and electronics aren't that complicated if you take the time to learn that they are different from other diesels (and VERY different from gassers), and the trucks themselves are cheap because too many others aren't smart enough to understand them. These trucks are very accessible for the average mechanically-inclined individual to work on, if they are willing to learn; around here are some of the best expert minds you can find on these trucks, both male and female - you just need to be open to learning from them. If you can't make your truck run reliably, it ain't the truck's fault.

We pull big loads with them because we can.

Slim, TD, Leo, Oregon, Me, and many other guys have pulled BIG weight with these trucks very reliably. They cannot do that in their stock form, and yelling at them doesn't seem to help that, but if you're willing to learn to make the logical modifications, they will pull hard, cool, and get decent mileage while doing so - but they can't pull outside their envelope, and it's the driver's responsibility to recognize what that is. If you can't make your truck pull, it ain't the truck's fault.

We race them because we can.

Lots of guys on here run their trucks on dynos, at the track (like ChrisK1500 has), and love to share their adventures and dyno/track slips. Most of us are quite proud of what our trucks will do, mostly because so many other people just aren't capable of making them do it. Your average guy looks at these trucks in stock form and doesn't think they will ever amount to much, but we look at them through the lens of possibility, and try to see just how much we can do. Changing not too many things turns these rigs into serious contenders... they aren't up to strapping on a modded-out Dmax of Cummins, but we knew that going in... and they didn't cost $50,000 to buy and modify, either. Bill Heath took a basically stock truck to over 150 mph. If your truck won't race, it ain't the truck's fault.

This site isn't about whether the trucks are as reliable, strong, or fast as a new Duramax. If that's what you're after, go buy one... most of us can afford to do that, if we want, which is what ChrisK was pointing out.

This site is about US, and how we handle our struggles with these trucks; it's a strong community of good friends that help each other out, learn from each other (both successes and failures), and share what we know. We're trying to make these old trucks better, stronger, and faster because we can.

You're welcome to be part of that community, but don't take shots at us, 'cause we don't need that, and don't down the trucks, because it ain't their fault they're not what you want them to be.

Jim

I know I'm a little late on this, but I just wanted to say something about this post. It is probably one of the best I have ever seen in any 6.5 forum, IMHO. No other post has made me quite as proud to be a 6.2/6.5'er. As a few of you know, I have been having a couple issues with my truck since January. Even so, I still love the truck, the engine, and am still proud to have it, and be part of this community. I must admit, I'm not a fan of the electronic injection right now, but I plan to do some great things with electronic Injection on my beloved 'Ole Red. Why, because I can. For some reason, this seems to be one of the most friendly, close-knit automotive groups I've ever seen. I'm also on many other Diesel forums, and nowhere else do I see such a group of people. It is true that the 6.5 has a cult-like, mafia following. I do not know why, but it does. Great post, Jim. Makes me truely proud to be a 6.5'er. :cheers2:

I know I'm a little late on this, but I just wanted to say something about this post. It is probably one of the best I have ever seen in any 6.5 forum, IMHO. No other post has made me quite as proud to be a 6.2/6.5'er. As a few of you know, I have been having a couple issues with my truck since January. Even so, I still love the truck, the engine, and am still proud to have it, and be part of this community. I must admit, I'm not a fan of the electronic injection right now, but I plan to do some great things with electronic Injection on my beloved 'Ole Red. Why, because I can. For some reason, this seems to be one of the most friendly, close-knit automotive groups I've ever seen. I'm also on many other Diesel forums, and nowhere else do I see such a group of people. It is true that the 6.5 has a cult-like, mafia following. I do not know why, but it does. Great post, Jim. Makes me truely proud to be a 6.5'er. :cheers2:

Well said and i agree totally

Back