• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Engine - Battery draining 2.55 amps, everything is off?

klover

Reaction score
I disconnected the alternator cable (and even had it tested). I disconnected the starter. Disconnected the fuse compartment above the steering. Still there is this current draw.

Perhaps this specific current draw is a clue?

It is a '97 K25oo Cheyenne with 6.5 automatic.

Thanks for any suggestions.

do you have any relays wired in for lights etc? I had a factory driving light harness that was wired wrong at the relay. everything worked normal except it had a drain on the batt

Could also be a bad radio drawing excessive power with the key off. I've seen CD players stick and short out the motors and cause them to drain the battery.

Do you have a trailer brake box wired in? I have caught mine with the light on with no trailer hooked up. I found water was getting in the back of the plug on the back bumper causing it to turn on.
+1 on glove box light.

You disconnected the entire fuse box to the left of the instrument cluster? If not, start pulling fuses one at a time to find the offending circuit. You can also pull fuses from the box under the hood.

I had one that drove me nuts... The batteries would go dead sometimes, and be fine at other times. Then, one night when I took the trash cans to the curb I was walking back up and noticed what I at first thought was fire/flames under the hood of my truck. Turned out to be the under hood light. The slope of my driveway is just enough to make it come on. Thinking back I realized that the times the batteries went dead was when I parked on the slope, and when I parked on the flat gravel driveway everything was fine. Disconnected the light and never had a problem with it again.

Map lights, dome lights, visor mirror lights, radio, ECM memory come to mind. Aftermarket radio and amp? Alarm system? Trailer power wire shorting? Any aftermarket items need a once over.

Back