• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 diesel weak

Hpadgett

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new to owning one of these 6.5 Detroit diesels , I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe with the diesel in it , it’s really slow and cannot do a burnout with bald mud tires , completely bald. Was wondering if you guys could help me out? Maybe I’m missing something?

If you bought it to do burn outs- wrong engine.
The 6.5 is an economy designed engine not a power house.
Depending how much money you are ready to spend you can get good power out of it but you have to do an entire system. Just pieces parts bring poor results and can cause catastrophic failure. If you want to really make it last under that power then a complete rebuild is in your future.

The 6.5 was never a power house. But I would check the vacuum pump and solenoid to the waste gate if it feels underpowered

This is an IDI diesel. In the time before Duramax and the HP wars. Aka 1970's design put in production around 1982. I am guessing it's older than you? 🤪

So here is how you go about it with lots of money:

1) Have a spare engine built and ready to go. You are going to blow it up sooner rather than later. One member's kid already wadded up the rods on a wet day doing burn outs with a 6.5.
2) Put a better and bigger turbo on it.
3) Call Yank Converters and build a high-stall converter (well north of 2000 RPM) so that:
A) The engine RPM is high enough to light the big turbo off from a dig.
B) You have turbo power to break the tires loose.
4) You may need a tune for the turbo.
5) 4.10 rear end helps.

I have burn-out parts on the shelf, but, I doubt you have a 4L80E in the Tahoe. If you do see the "for sale" section.

It can be done:

Give the OP props, at least he is looking for burn out smoke and not rolling coal 🤷‍♂️. Quickest way is start from a stop, crank the wheel left or right and hit the 1-wheel peel (assuming the LSD is shot).

This is an IDI diesel. In the time before Duramax and the HP wars. Aka 1970's design put in production around 1982. I am guessing it's older than you? 🤪

So here is how you go about it with lots of money:

1) Have a spare engine built and ready to go. You are going to blow it up sooner rather than later. One member's kid already wadded up the rods on a wet day doing burn outs with a 6.5.
2) Put a better and bigger turbo on it.
3) Call Yank Converters and build a high-stall converter (well north of 2000 RPM) so that:
A) The engine RPM is high enough to light the big turbo off from a dig.
B) You have turbo power to break the tires loose.
4) You may need a tune for the turbo.
5) 4.10 rear end helps.

I have burn-out parts on the shelf, but, I doubt you have a 4L80E in the Tahoe. If you do see the "for sale" section.

It can be done:

My son is the one Warwagon is referring to that threw a 6.5 rod doing donuts in a crew cab dually. They do have enough power to do burn outs but you must be wise about how and when you do them.

Back