• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 cylinder head leaking

Haven’t seen that but can really only be the crack between the valves into steam pocket has made it’s way to the valve.

You could try the sealing tabs - they won’t hurt other than throwing good money after bad scenario- but they are cheap. There is the egg trick but not thinking that would do better than the tabs and definitely not here.

I was thinking -attempting to do the brass tube inserts in place- you’d have to remove the ip & intake. Thats a chunk more money but if it doesn’t work he will be buying new heads anyways and imo I can’t see installing new heads anymore without inserting brass tubes from day one because any head other than p400 is gonna crack at some point. Doing it hurts nothing except the labor and a few bucks spent for it. I know many engines break 300k and never leak but wear out instead- but I never seen one come apart over 100k that wasn’t cracking a little.

Mind you I just woke up and grabbed ny phone so my gears are trying to spin in thick cold oil right now…

This is where wondering how close the steam pockets in the heads come to this area. in the mfg process the steam pockets in the heads are cast with sand filling the area to create the pocket. I'm curious if the sand in this pocket was shifted slightly or too much was added causing this to be a weak point. this would qualify as a quality control mishap that no one could see until years later as this crack formed.

I assume he will be replacing the head. if this is the case, I would vote for this head to be cut open or sliced for us all to see the construction. I know there are some pics on here where someone did this years ago, a refresh would be a good thing. maybe slicing the head into several sections long ways and across like a cake along with some documentation.

There was at least one more leaking. The worst part is these heads came off a military optimizer with a bad crank then the PO had it on an engine and had bottom end issues. Then this guy's engine had a bottom end go out and finally now. Makes you wonder how long it had been leaking and possibly contributing to bottom end failures.

Also
how high pressure test did it take to push out the coolant?
Any other back story he can tell like mileage, any times of over heating he had and how hot for how long?
What year was the optimizer made?

Back