• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 build

96 6.5 turbo crusty

86 6.5 crusty
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to build a 96 or 97 6.5 turbo motor for my 94 c3500 dually that originally was a 454 tbi truck my question is about the wiring and throttle cause it has a cable pedal for gas pedal? The transmission I'll be using is a 4l80e

Getting my local DMV to register a gas to diesel converted truck - haha- nope. Check with yours before you start.

If you are doing this because it is free or cheap- STOP NOW. Sell the 6.5 and use that money to get another gasser. Even a free engine and trans, doing this swap will set you back $$$!

If you can get away with db2 mechanical pump instead of ds4 electronic pump it will make a world of difference. Easier conversion, maintenance, long term cost better, and some even say the taste is better! Then you can keep the cable pedal like it should be- no stupid fly by wire nonsense! No ecm /pmd, etc wiring nightmare.
You need a return fuel line that goes down into the bottom of the tank. No intank fuel pump for yonder diesel also. Then loose the pickup sock while there & you want 3/8 line feeding engine and 5/16 return.
Only use sae30r9 flexible line and stainless steel hard lines. No red metals.
You need a good fuel filter and lift pump systems. On this jump right to a million dollar air dog with its filters and get it regulated down to 5psi.
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it with sensor “T” right at the ip inlet and gauge on dash so you see it always. Zero pressure is expensive.

How complete is this engine and do you know it’s real condition?
Do you know the 6.5 well - not just this one engine but do you know its failure points and what to do to make it a smart choice? Upgrading that 6.5 before it goes in is the wise choice but you have to know you are sticking with the platform or you will loose thousands.

Please fill out your signature line - it will really help us whenever you bring anything up.
I am confused- your name says 6.5 but it is a 454 now or someone did a 454 to 6.5 conversion already as a db2 but you want it with ds4?

Will L my daily drive is a 96 c3500 6.5 turbo diesel my project truck I'm think of putting the 6.5 turbo diesel in is a 94 c3500 that came factory with 454 tbi motor

Ok cool. Then yeah, I would rip the ds4/pmd and keep as spare for the 96. Drop a db2 on the other one. I will warn you now. Once you own a db2 and ds4, you will begin to hate the ds4...

Back