• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5, 6.6, or turbo 4.8

Speedyd

Reaction score
So a guy i know has a 83 k10 regular cab long box, from the factory it came with a 6.2 diesel. The truck now has a 4.8 with a turbo on it, but the turbo setup is not very good. Long story there at least 3 cases of beer needed for that one. He wants a diesel basck in it. He really wants an optimizer or p400 but the 400 is more than he can spend. But he also wants around 400rwhp which isn't something a 6.5 can handle. So that brings us to the 6.6 duramax do y'all think that headache of getting it in and strengthening the frame is worth it, or redo the 4.8 and run with it? Also what would be realistic hp and torque for a built 6.5 that will last?

If he cant afford a p400, he cant afford to build a normal 6.5 to that power level.
He also couldn’t afford a dmax unless he finds a junkyard truck deal.

The truck frame IF in good condition will handle stock dmax as long as not L5P.

Turbo4.8?

That's what i figured on the 6.5. I've found a few lb7 around here for about 5 to 7k on the cheap side. A guy he knows allows wanted to do an ls swap in a square body. It was supposed to be a 5.3 with turbo the 5.3 was junk so it became a 4.8 with a turbo again long story there.

If it stays a gasser it will stay the 4.8 tell that blows up. Just the tune in it will have to get fixed and the homemade turbo exhaust manifold will get replaced with a better set.

MANY MANY people have pushed stock 4.8's to some pretty insane power numbers. Stock early rods(pressed pins, 99-03/04) are said to be good for low 600's, later rods(floating pins) are said to be good to over 800hp if you keep the timing sane. There's no way I would go diesel today unless I was dead set on it to be different, or needed it to tow. Not when you can pick up lq4's for under a grand, and build 600hp on a budget.

Back