• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 0wner since 1996.

Rick Taylor

Reaction score
Love my '95 "S" model engine: it is one of the more rare K1500 with the 6.5 turbo: replaced the original motor after 240K miles; International Diesel rebuilt installed in 2010...got about 40K on the 'new' motor; my vacuum pump just died again...I see that there is a process for deleting the pump; anybody willing to give me a brief description of the process? i.e. what will drive the turbo actuator when the vacuum pump is removed? A failed turbo caused my first engine issues....Thanks in advance!

Welcome to The Truck Stop! The gang here has about all the answers you'll need.

Welcome.
Best to post or find details in the 6.5 section,
But basically buy this:
Or make your own version of it. You need a boost gauge to set the level at a safe range.

You need a shorter serpentine belt.

If your current turbo is old and you want to upgrade for better power, better mpg, lower egt- then dont buy that, get a different turbo that better suits your needs and uses.

One of the often not mentioned advantages of an innercooler is if a turbo goes boom, you maybe ruin the innercooler and not the engine because the debris doesn’t travel that far. Something to think about.

Besides the mechanical wastegate controller- stick around and learn. Lots of experience and things that can save major issues available here.

Back