• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 to replace my 6.5

I read this thread because I have a 83 sub sitting in my driveway that has my donor 6.2 in it for my 95. I am more confused now then I was when I read this. I was under the impression that I just had to change intake, exhaust manifolds and the front end components including the cam drive. Then t into the oil sending unit and stuff it in there. and what is with the 1000 egt post there's no way I can pull my trailer and keep it under 1000 all the time unless for some reason a 6.2 will run allot cooler egt.

What's confusing?

From what i've gathered a 6.2 shortblock with the 6.5 goodies bolted up to it is beefier than a stock 6.5. No need to baby the EGT's any more than a regular block.

From what i've gathered a 6.2 shortblock with the 6.5 goodies bolted up to it is beefier than a stock 6.5. No need to baby the EGT's any more than a regular block.

That's the way I saw it. I have also been told that there is not enough gain in the precups to bother with changing the heads. will the injectors work? I guess I will have to pull a injector out of the 6.2 this weekend. I had not heard of the pan issues I assumed the 6.2 one would work although i did plan on pulling the pan and rear main and replacing the seal. As i stated it's confusing because I now have more questions then before on what I may need before I start the swap. This is my primary transport so I need to be ready with all the parts up front.

After my engine died I called Bill and he gave me the number for Jamie at Diesel Depot. My engine is getting stronger with more miles and I'm glad I went this way. The 6.2l was Bills idea. I used 98 heads with the large precups.

After my engine died I called Bill and he gave me the number for Jamie at Diesel Depot. My engine is getting stronger with more miles and I'm glad I went this way. The 6.2l was Bills idea. I used 98 heads with the large precups.

so did you lower the compression

Yes, I went to 20:1, recommended by Bill Heath. In my area is gets down to the single digits and 18:1 will not start at the temperature. Of course this week it is in the triple digits! A ton of dollars was spent on the engine I had built. It was more or less a test engine.

Your missing the picture, the compression is too high, the pistons aren't designed for boost so you must keep the egt's down or you'll nuke the pistons.

I was told a 1000 deg's by a seasoned veteran, if you want to run hotter, let us know what happens, :eek:

Back