• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 to replace my 6.5

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed, my search's aren't coming up with much..
What needs to be done to make a 6.2 block work in my place of my 6.5 in my 1994?

i was going to do it but i was talking with leroy and he said that the oil pan is differnt and some other things i would like to try it iv been told the 6.2 has thicker main webs and is all together a stronger block:smile5: sounds like a winner to me if it will fit?????:confused:

You will need a 4x4 oil pan and all of the externals off of your 6.5. Heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, sensors, timing set and front cover off the 6.5, etc.. A way of oiling your turbo. Mine does great I actually have more power than I did with my 6.5's and my last 6.5 was a reman. that blew 3 weeks after the one year warranty.

so the 6.2 will work with a 4x4 oil pan off a 6.2 or off a 6.5

i had heard the the water pumps i belevie where different or is you use the front cover it all works out. what year/model of 6.2 block should i be looking for

You have to use a 4x4 oil pan that matches the rear main seal, whether it be a two piece seal or a one piece seal. The water pump that I am running came off of my 6.5 and is the HO pump. Everything that was not part of the block casting externally on the 6.2 I changed out from my 6.5.

That I am not sure of. I know my 660 6.2 block is a two piece seal. I do believe that some of the early 6.5's had a two piece seal but I am not sure. Someone may be able to add to this.

A way of oiling your turbo.

DEERE3594, My 6.2 block has the oil port/provision for oiling a turbo, just like the 6.5 blocks have. I assume the main seal is two piece as the oil pan from my one piece 6.5 oil pan would not fit on it.

The late 6.2s[599 block] 90?-93 are 1 piece rear main seal and have the turbo oil supply port. I'm doing 2 of these conversions. The 6.5s use a shorter bodied injectors also for more turbo clearance. A surpentine drive water pump must be used with the surp drive. I thought the only difference in oil pans besides 1 or 2 piece seal was hummer or pick-up.

I thought the only difference in oil pans besides 1 or 2 piece seal was hummer or pick-up.

There is no such thing as a 4x4 oil pan, they are simply one or two piece rear main oil pans, so your 6.2 pan is fine.

Swap over everything, as mentioned, including the timing cover-if your 94 has the electronic pump, otherwise, no need, waterpump, as they rotate backwards and manifolds. If the 6.2 doesn't have the front galley drilled for the turbo, just tee off the oil pressure sender.

Limit boost to 10 psi and 1000 deg F for EGT's.

So no one makes a manifold that will work to turbo it? I have to swap heads? correct or incorrect?

i thought you did have to swap heads im getting confused now

The precups are different thru the various years but that's not a reason to swap.

I just remembered the injectors have course and fine thread, that could be why as only a certain type or short body, which is what you need. Someone can chime in on that, I hope.

1982 trucks with course thread heads are the only one that use different injectors. so if you get short body 6.5 injectors they will interchange with your 6.2 heads

1982 trucks with course thread heads are the only one that use different injectors. so if you get short body 6.5 injectors they will interchange with your 6.2 heads

X2 (red block engine)

Justin you mite want to talk to 635 he's set up this way, IIRC several Heath trucks have 6.2 bottom ends, also preferred build by Avant Diesel 6.2 bottom end and 6.5 upper, IIRC properly assembeled boost can be run to full limit GM-X or ATT can build.

I read this thread because I have a 83 sub sitting in my driveway that has my donor 6.2 in it for my 95. I am more confused now then I was when I read this. I was under the impression that I just had to change intake, exhaust manifolds and the front end components including the cam drive. Then t into the oil sending unit and stuff it in there. and what is with the 1000 egt post there's no way I can pull my trailer and keep it under 1000 all the time unless for some reason a 6.2 will run allot cooler egt.

Back