• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 Performance

Levi Stradinger

Reaction score
I picked up an '84 Blazer with the 6.2 and would love some knowledge on upgrades, etc. I've seen a lot with the military model intake swap, turning up the fuel pump, and the Sidewinder turbo, but what about making your own turbo kit? My exhaust is a true dual. Would doing a muffler delete effect anything? How about x/y pipes? Any and all insights and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

If you go sidewinder, talk to Leroy from Leroy's Diesel. Otherwise talk to Leroy about an ATT. No better move than a turbo. You will need to turn up the fuel screw in the ip, and get new injectors set at the higher pop pressure for the turbo.

Before you buy parts from any source, mention it here and wait a day or so before buying to save yourself lost $ and headaches from rip off people.

Well, got the intake built. j mainfold, custom elbow, 3" duct tubing, and k&n filter. now my trans is out... its the original and the local shop wants 2500 bucks to rebuild it. im gonna swap it. but what do you guys think? th350? th400? rebuild?

th400 not th350. A different option if you would like to spend a little more up front, a 4l80e or 4l85e. The 4l80e is an upgraded th400 with 20% overdrive. The 4l85e is another upgrade up from there. All 3 are rock solid choices, provided it is not built by a hack.

$2500 for a rebuild seems way high! I need to be in the trans rebuilding business.

I know this post is kind of old but will still throw in my 2 cents:
- Muffler delete on a N/A (non turbo) 6.2 is extremely loud...I would say louder than any gas motor.
- J-code intake (does not have an EGR), some slight port matching of the intake to the heads, and increasing the fuel some makes a noticeable difference.
- Diesels love turbos and by far the best bang for the buck, but if you want to play to have to pay.
- I think the TH700r4 is a good trans for these engines. If any street driving it really needs an overdrive transmission, otherwise the engine will either be running really high revs or you need crappy axle gears that other poor acceleration. I paid a local shop $900 to rebuild by 700r4 last summer with me doing the R&R in the truck. It was a rebuild with some upgrades but nothing too fancy. The original one lasted about 120k with a lot of off-roading and mainly died because it was run low on the fluid because of a leak. Converting to any other transmission is going to be extra work and expense...not saying other transmissions are bad but they are not a bolt in affair.

Back