• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 offroad toy

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
Picked up a 1982 k20 a few weeks ago with the 6.2, th400, np208 drivetrain and around 135k miles.

c431addabf88420ae6443afa0849ee54.jpg

Rigged the glow plug controller to a push button, just replaced the upper radiator hose due to a pinhole leak (temp got to 225 for a short time). Have a power steering fluid leak from the hydroboost to fix and a tcase leak to address.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

7c537e9c70829aad977dfa3c45f04473.jpg

Haha thanks, pics are from its inaugural offroad trip.

Plans are to keep it street legal, ish, and rock crawling. Without breaking the bank.

First on the list is a 4" lift, using a set of rear 52" leaf springs up front and a shackle flip in the rear. Followed by humvee wheels and tires. Crossover steering after that then eventually a locker in the rear axle and a transfer case upgrade to a np205. I've already smacked the aluminum tcase pretty good and knowing me I'll tear it apart at some point.

I see some serious off road tires in it's short term future!

W/ the hmmwv wheel& tire: are you going to do the pvc pipe bead locks, or use some of the real bead lock/run flats?

I have used the 1 piece fun flat/ bead lock- not nice. The 2 piece is what I run now. Much nicer. Once I figured out how to, much easier to swap out destroyed or worn out tires. I think I average 1 tire every 2 months.

Bunch of guys say the 24 bolt are they way to go, I disagree. Never had any problem with my 12 bolt. Avoid the 8 bolt- those DO leak.

If you ever find the Goodyear gsa 37 X 12.50 X 16.5 they are gold. They don't look like they would out perform the mt and all that, but they do. I'd pay $1000 a tire for brand new ones if they still made them. Amazing handling difference at 75-80 mph, and at the sand dunes.

I was thinking of running the PVC beadlocks so I can air down to single digits without concern. My cruising speed on the highway is currently 60mph due to the 235x85x16 tires, no overdrive, and 4.10 gears. I'd like to cruise at 65.

This project will be done a little at a time. Current list of priorities is finishing paying off my last credit card, get the m816 wrecker fully operational, then the rock crawler/winter beater.

Ok. I run mt/ mtr as low as 8psi. But my truck weighs 9,000-10,000 depending how much gear is in at the time. Don't be afraid of 4-5 psi range with thou pickup.

The run flats are like 6.2/6.5- get a bad name for issues that are solved, but the pvc is easier to work with. If you need how to on tire swapping, let me know.

Reactions: red
That belongs to my friend. Locked front and rear, about 33" tires on it. He's always telling me to get one but I'm not building an expedition rig. That's what I had the deuce for (being replaced with a 5 ton)

Ran into an issue last night. Truck died on me a few blocks from home. Near 0 F temps the past week so fuel was gelling up and my filter was mostly a block of ice. Put the filter inside the house and poured some diesel anti-gel additive into the tank. Today I drained the filter and found this pouring out....
211595be1861404dc8f55702fda1d501.jpg

Picking up a new filter tomorrow and will have it going again. Looks like I'll be flushing the tanks sometime soon

What do ya mean eww, Tanner- I like chocolate milk!

Red: there are some times those inline glass filters are nice. I would justify the $10 for this truck just to see if it's consistent. Unless your ready to drop the tank now...

Not going to drop the tanks yet (2 tank setup), but I'll cut open the new filter when I change it in the spring, see if the problem is still there. This truck has a spin on filter on the firewall, no other fuel filters.

New filter on today, pressurized the system and running good again. Next plans for the truck are oil and coolant changes, replace the front wheel bearings, and find a tcase. Put a small crack in the stock np208 when I smacked it on a rock a few weeks ago. Looking for a 203 or a 205 to swap out.

Will drain some fuel tomorrow and let it sit, see if it's bugs or rust/mud.

Found a transfer case for a good price. Np205 in working condition, np203 range box with 32 spline input shaft, shifter and cross member for the 205 as well. For now I'll just setup the np205 with a 32 spline input shaft, but later will make a 203/205 doubler

Fuel is dirty, but no bugs/algae.

Ordered the parts today from offroad design for the np203/205 doubler. Should have it installed sometime in the next 3 weeks

Rubs in the front a bit, well more than a bit haha. Humvee 37"s and beadlocks.

Started having a clunk coming from the rear axle, pinion was loose and the nut that attaches the yoke couldn't be tightened anymore (ran out of threads). So, pulled the rear cover and tried to remove the diff. Removed the bolt that holds the center pin and tried to remove the center pin with no success. Pin moves about 1" one way, and 1/4" the other, and thats it. Tried using a hammer and punch to drive it out with no change, had enough of it and bolted it back together. Removed the yoke and placed 2 flat washers between the bearing and the yoke, tightened the nut holding the yoke, and it has held the pinion in place since.

14 Bolt semi-floater rear axle with a stripped out G80.

Other than that, the glowplug system is no longer working with the manual push button. Truck has been low priority for awhile, been working on the m816 wrecker. Not long till it's driveable again so will be working on this truck again soon.

82 K20 pickup.jpg

Back