• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 diesel infront of a 5lm60 transmission

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
I really want to put a 6.2 diesel in my truck, currently powered by a 305. My truck is a 5 speed, the 5lm60. It shifts nice and smooth. Will this transmission mount to a 6.2 diesel and handle it with no problem? The 6.2 will be kept n/a until I can afford to turbo it.

If they do bolt and work together, what will need to be changed, flywheel, clutch or anything else?

Thanks guys

All I can tell you is yes you can bolt it up and make it work. From waht I can find though, I wouldn't want to push it to much. A stout 350 can tear up one of those trannies. The NV3500 replaced it, and when GM went to the VORTEC's they sold VERY few with the 350 and a 5 speed because it could eat it for lunch. I imagine a 6.2L with a turbo could do a number on it if you pushed it. It would all be up to you and your right foot. If you did it and it failed, then the NV4500 would be the simplest replacement since you could use all OEM parts.

I have thought of using the nv4500 to replace the 5lm60, eventually maybe if the 5lm60 blows up. I'm not looking to do burn outs, just looking for economy for now.

If you drive it easy without a turbo I'm sure it will be fine, but with a turbo just watch teh throttle in the lower RPM's as torque is the killer.`

The 60 is the torque rating, same as the 700R4 so I would assume as long as you didn't beat the shit out of it, you'd be fine. N/A, probably last forever. Turbo, as long as your not drag racing it, again, probably last forever.

I'm running one,I call it a nv3500, but its the earlier Getrag/Muncie. They are very underated,I ran one behind a built sbc 400,a 5.9 Cummins and now a turbo 6.2. Only one that broke was behind the Cummins,sheared the 5th gear on the counter shaft twice,last time the rear tires locked up at apox 50 mph. Lesson learned don't lug 5th gear not even the nv4500.

The nv3500 should be a bit better and replaced the 5lm60 a few years later.

What did you have to do to mate the nv3500 to the 6.2? Thanks

The nv3500 should be a bit better and replaced the 5lm60 a few years later.

What did you have to do to mate the nv3500 to the 6.2? Thanks

Bolt it up. The 6.2 and a 350 use the same exact bolt pattern. Just get a 6.2 with a flywheel instead of a flexplate, put in the correct pilot bearing or bushing, and bolt the clutch on.

Anyone with input about running the stock radiator from the truck to cool the 6.2?

The truck won't doing any real towing

It will work but I'd be saving for a radiator. My 93 has a 454 rad and it works fine even towing but I still want a diesel rad.

Source Unknown

It will work but I'd be saving for a radiator. My 93 has a 454 rad and it works fine even towing but I still want a diesel rad.

Source Unknown

The 454, and late model 350's used teh same radiator core as the diesels did. The diesels used the 34" wide radiator core which is teh same as the late model 350 vortec's for heavy duty cooling, and the 454's raditor. Early trucks used a 28" core(somewhere there abouts, can't remember the exact width of it right now) and was plenty for the early low output TBI engines. if you don't push it you should be fine, just make sure you have teh 350's heavy duty cooling one as it is a dual row core whereas teh 305 got a single row core.

Back