• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 build maybe

haggus

Reaction score
Just looking on the classifieds. See a 6.2 for sale it's ripped down says it has a lot of new parts to go with it. The guy is asking 600.

Seems kind of expensive might just go and take a look to see what block it is.

Anyone with rebuild experience on these engines maybe have a list of what would be good parts and what would be required in machine work.

Thanks

Go take a look at it and bring a camera to post pictures. It really depends on the condition. If it requires a lot of machine work I would just pass or offer him $150. Don't look at it as THE engine you build, but components you will use if you have to buy more from another source.

Thinking of building it for my truck I would have the time to collect parts. I like the banks sidewinder kit for these engines. Just need more info on the swap for compatibility it is my understanding they are basically the same engine.

Compatibility as far as 6.2 vs 6.5?

Yep from what I understand the block is essentially the same and it will mate right up to the 4l80e. You can fit in place of a 6.5 I am just wondering if it will work with the ECM for OBD 1.

There might be some modifications to make it work with 6.5 TD Serpentine belt setup.

Iirc WarWagon has done this swap.

Use the 6.2 long block, except precups,injectors from 6.5. Everything else from the 6.5 reuse.

6.2 to put in your 95 right? You'll need a custom crossover pipe for the Banks manifold even with a 6.2 driver side exhaust manifold.
Im actually doing a build on this now in another thread.

Going to have a look at it now it is a 660 block apparently already magna fluxed and checked for cracks it is supposed to come with the rebuild kit as well might be a good buy.

A 6.2 is simply a bored out 6.5. Oil cooler line sizes change over the years and the 6.2 heads have a different injector angle. Precups are application specific meaning you want turbo precups if you run a big turbo. The stock GM asthma attack turbo doesn't really care what precups you run. (Econo bread delivery van cups excepted.) Van heads are way different. 1982's have unique heads.

My 1993 and 1995 have 6.2 long blocks in them from ~1986. They have the 6.5 turbo manifolds and only have some injector clearance issues form the 6.2 head injector angle that are not show stoppers.

Typo^^ First sentence.

Additionally, later 6.2 heads have the same injector angle as a 6.5.

I run an '82 'red' 6.2 big valve engine with the wide injector angle (and long injectors) and all you need is an 1/8" steel spacer at the head flange and a gasket on each side to work with factory 6.5 exhaust stuff. Slight tweek to the xover.

The best choice would be 92-93 6.2s as they are essentially 6.5s that have not been bored. They will have the oil supply for the turbo tapped but plugged and the heads are the same as 6.5 heads except for the pre cups. All other years will work with minor fab work.

Back