• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 a number of new issues!

cornemuse

Reaction score
In the last week my '84 Blazer with the 6.2 has started (well, not started) to grind like the batteries are dead. I put a load tester on & it read ok, slightly low, but in the green. I connected my 150 amp charger/starter for maybe less than a minute, cranked right over. Disconnected it & tried again, plenty of juice now. Battery cells good, no corrosion, terminals tight, voltage good, one last thing, batteries are 8 + years old. (noticed this while checking water level in cells)

Another thing, the brakes dont instantly release when I take my foot off the pedal, it seems to drag, for a second, or less. Master cyl is less than 2 years old. Any issues with the hydro booster?

Are the hydro boosters the same for all (diesel pu, sub, blazers)?

Any ideas?

(My MB diesel is also acting weird with starting too, same week! I think the solenoid)

-c-

I think Mb diesels and 6.2/6.5 platform communicate and conspire. Mine act up at the same time also.

Disconnect the batteries completely and test them individually. Clean all connections, but before reconnecting, pull and clean starter connections and ground cable at the other end. Also do the ground straps from engine to frame and to body.

On brakes, check calipers/pistons for sticking. Far more likely. After you know those are good then suspect master and don't forget the proportioning valve. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, how old is yours?

Will is right. a bad connection cause all sorts of starting a running problem. don't forget for the hydroboost setup to chech the power steering fluid level and belt condition. don't forget to check the rear brakes to for binding or bad return springs.

If there is any restriction, like a filter, kinked or bad hose, etc. on the return line from the brake booster to the PS pump tank it can hold the brakes on. The proper place for a return line filter is from the steering box if you use one at all. How is the PS fluid condition?

Well, I got the starting issue fixed.
The batteries are 100 months & about a week old, warrantee is 100 months, my luck.
The vehicle seemed to be cranking just a lil bit slower than normal. Last saturday I went to a wedding & after the reception, (late sat nite) the beast almost didnt want to start.
Sunday I load tested the batts & one was ok but slightly low (bottom of green). Other worse. Got worse each day later. I rechecked both batts this morning, one weak, the other DOA, car started after the bad one was disconnected. Went to Costco & had to swap them out in the parking lot. Also, the volt gauge had been showing barely in the red for over volts/charging, now it has dropped down into the 'green zone' as normal.
Hopefully, the battery issue is solved. -corne-

Well, 8 years isn't a bad run for batteries and at least that problem is out of the way for some time now.

On the brakes: in rereading this,first thing I would do is pull the front calipers and clean and lube the slides and pins on the calipers.

Back