• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 - 6.5 internals

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys and MGW, I'm thinkin bout using a 6.2 short block with the 6.5 heads. I know that part will work. I don't remember if I can punch out the .2 to .5 specs and use the pistons, rods and crank from a .5? Or will I have to use the .2 stuff in the block? If so, does Scat make a crank for the .2? Just think out loud.

Thanks in advance,

Unless it is a late model 6.2 (during the 6.2-6.5 transition years) the SCAT crank will not work. The early 6.2s were 2 piece rear main seal and the 6.5 is a 1 piece seal. SCAT doesn't make a 6.2 crank.

Ok, thanks guys. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Do you think a built up .2 bottom end will hold up to a GL4 & ATT? Would studs be needed? Girdle? (Not too built up - I'm on a new found budget) TIA,

Ok, thanks guys. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Do you think a built up .2 bottom end will hold up to a GL4 & ATT? Would studs be needed? Girdle? (Not too built up - I'm on a new found budget) TIA,

A good seasoned 6.2 block will hold up just fine. The early 6.2 blocks had good metal content and tended not to crack like the later 6.5 blocks. You can get the 6.2 bored .040 oversize and get a 6.3 lite motor. You will never miss the .2 liter difference.

Slim, I know your running the .040 over, but is that safe? I thought .020 was the most you should go. Well, at least thats what I've heard.

Slim, I know your running the .040 over, but is that safe? I thought .020 was the most you should go. Well, at least thats what I've heard.

.040 is the maximum oversize I would go. I think they make 60 over pistons, but I would think that would be pushing it. I also am using a block that has 2 cylinders that have been sleeved. I have run many blocks with sleeves and over sized pistons. It used to be that when you fixed things, they were supposed to be as strong if not stronger than the original. Sleeved blocks run just fine as do over bore pistons. They wouldn't make pistons oversize if they were not an approved repair. Guess I am old school when it comes to repairs.

Back