• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5er vs Pull behind

congrats on the truck jim... now you gonna have to bring it up for a lv meet so we can chack it out :D ... its as good an excuse as any eh?? :p

Sounds good.I actually did a search for around two hours to track it down, its in Cali.Going to pick it up the 27th from the dealer.Pretty damn excited and nervous at the same time as I never thought I would pay this kinda green for a vehicle sheesh!

I love the way the fvr tows compared to TT. My buddy had bumper pull toy hauler and it was a work out to drive his ford f350 and keep it straight (took a lot to balance it properly).

Sounds good.I actually did a search for around two hours to track it down, its in Cali.Going to pick it up the 27th from the dealer.Pretty damn excited and nervous at the same time as I never thought I would pay this kinda green for a vehicle sheesh!

For me, going out for a drive or goind camping makes it much easier to cut that check each month.:D

Only con is if your 5er isn't a toy hauler you can't take a big toy, but that is the only one.

I do miss the using the bed to load up the scoot. Also, if you want to lift your truck any, I would think it's easier to do so pulling a TT.

Fivers track farther inside on a corner.
Fivers are harder to back up
Fivers are easier to tow

When I switch again it will be to a fiver toyhauler or most likely a in bed pick up camper so I can tow the Harleys or the boat

My buddy and I have the same length trailers and I thought it would be easier to get through the gates at the camp in VT since I have so much of the unit over bed. Not so much - the closer tracking erases the benefit in my opinion.

I still suck at backing it up after two years with the thing.:rofl:

My next unit will be a toy hauler fiver b/c I miss not having my harley - unless I can get one of my buddies to drive up with it in my utility trailer.:cheers2:

Don't think I'd ever go back to a TT, but who knows.

This is all great responses guys.I just pulled the trigger on a new08 GMC CC-Dually 4sa option package.I am just waiting for the paperwork and I will cut the check.Can't wait to drive her.Will get the 1k miles on the truck first then hook-up and go!

Congrats Jim. Get some pictures up ASAP.

Around 1500 miles, I changed out all the fluids.

A plus to a 5er is that in most states, you can tow doubles with a 5er, it's illegal to tow doubles with a TT from my understanding.

We looked at TH's and decided that most of the time on local trips, we don't bring anything with us. If we choose to bring the golf cart or boat, we can tow it behind our 5er. I had a hitch installed at a recommended trailer dealer so I wouldn't void my frame warranty.

jim87vette,

That's great your getting a new truck. What color?

Oh and 5er hands down. My wife and I just purchased our first 5er last year and we went back and forth but now having it there is NO way I will go back. Of course there are a few things that are not as easy if you are used to a TT but man you really forget about it and look at all the other +'s after the first trip.

Congrats:cheers2:

I saw a thread about a 5er coming off the hitch the other day(give me something to worry about geeze).This guys Reese hitch came loose or whatever about a 1/4 mile from his house.But after reading some more the guy didn't check to see if his jaws were locked in.But his little flag thing or whatever indicator told him it was fine.What procedures do you guys have in place to avoid this from happening?

I always look at the jaws to make sure they shut. You can tell if you watch the handle go out and come back in, but I always look since I don't want to crush the bed of the truck.

I saw a thread about a 5er coming off the hitch the other day(give me something to worry about geeze).This guys Reese hitch came loose or whatever about a 1/4 mile from his house.But after reading some more the guy didn't check to see if his jaws were locked in.But his little flag thing or whatever indicator told him it was fine.What procedures do you guys have in place to avoid this from happening?

I always look to make sure the claws are closed. Also - only lift the legs a couple inches off the ground and pull forward to check the connection again. Then lift the front legs all the way.

Those with eight foot beds can use a devise called a "bed saver" IIRC. I don't know if it works with all hitches, but it's purpose is to catch the king pin if it falls out of the hitch so the trailer doesn't hit the bed. I've never used it because it wouldn't work with my slider, but many swear by it.

Go with the 5'er, no question. Most units have great storage bays under the front room.

I have a short box and have done fine without a slider hitch. Just pay attention to the corner of the cab when backing up and don't jacknife it too much.

Back