• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5er vs Pull behind

jim87vette

Gimpy
Reaction score
Just wanted to pick anyones brain here.I recently purchased a 5er but I do not have the truck set-up for this application yet.My plan is to sell my 94 and buy a new 08-09 GMC Dually.This should more then handle my 14k load 2k pin.
Now my question is how do you compare the two types of towing in question?Comparing how they track going down the road?Backing up,turning radius,cornering etc.Just let me know the pros and cons.
I did tow a 10k Toy hauler (pull behind) previously never have experienced a 5er.Thanks

You'll love the way a 5W or GN tows compared to BH. More stable without special hitches. Turning and backing will take some practice but will be worth it in the end.

No comparison, 5er rocks, the only thing I can think of that is better on a bh is a bit better vision but a good set of towing mirrors will take care of that.

You most always see people make the move up to a 5'ver from a TT. Seldom do you see a 5'ver moving to a TT, there's a reason for this. My first RV was a TT, I've had 3 5'vers since, most times I don't even know it's back there and it's 37'. I never plan to go back to a TT ever again that's how much better they handle and tow. They both back up a little different than the other, but you'll get used to that.

Ok great input guys thanks.Just backng up may be different I was pretty good with TT so hopefully I will soon master the 5er.I have a tight back up for my garage lets hope it goes well.
And of coarse when I built my garage 7yrs ago I made the door opening 12' 3"High and wouldn't you know it the 5er is 12' 9" got a lttle project there!

I really like my 5er because the darn thing will turn as sharp as your truck will. The cool thing is you can almost be 90 degrees to your camper. You have to be careful though. It is good for parking in tight spaces. I have a tight driveway to turn around in. I would never get a bumper pull turned in my driveway. The only drawback so far has been learning to back it up in the tight spaces without having to try more than once. The more I do it the better I get.

i've never towed a camper, but i can tell you that a gooseneck trailer pulls much better than a bumper pull trailer.

never hauled a 5'er before, but i have run a lot of goosenecks between san diego and palm desert. gooseneck is far more stable than a bh and like everyone else said, they are much easier to turn and back up. pivot point is now over the axle, not behind it. you'll enjoy it a lot more....

good luck on the truck purchase.

No comparison, hands down, without question, neck over hitch is best, regardless of it being a ball or 5th wheel. It puts some of the weight back on your front axle where it needs to be. Which results in much better stability and braking ability. And when you hook a new Duramax to it, you be amazed. I pulled quite a bit with a big block gas burner and when you step to a newer diesel you will be impressed. Good Luck.

A fiver tows so much better there is no comparrsion. You don't get sucked into buses or tractor trailers, no sway at all. I'll back into campsites that a TT will never be able to get into. Overall length is a big deal also. If you have a 30' TT add 4' off the back of your truck for the hitch,and you are now at 34' off your rear bumper. With a 30' fifth wheel, you are 26' off your rear bumper. 8' longer for the same size trailer.

I have had two Travel Trailers, then a Fifth wheel, and I am one of the few who went back to a Travel Trailer.

Fivers track farther inside on a corner.
Fivers are harder to back up
Fivers are easier to tow
Fivers have more wind resistance

Overall a fiver is better for towing, but a well set up travel trailer tows very well with no sway. I have a 34 foot double slide 12000 pound travel trailer now.

I switched back to a TT in 98, before there were the toyhaulers. I needed to be able to bring ATV or Harleys with me...

When I switch again it will be to a fiver toyhauler or most likely a in bed pick up camper so I can tow the Harleys or the boat

I've had a variety of RV's, A Class "A", Class "C", 2 travel trailers, and finally the 5th wheel. Class A and C were nice but I didn't like the idea of having to maintain another engine and drivetrain when I only used them 6 months out of the year. The TT was nice but harder to get into spots since it was long since the hitch was past the bumper. I've never had trouble backing up the fiver, but I was also a truck driver (trailers and tandums) for 20 years. My neighbor across the street just bought a 31' travel trailer and asked me to take it for a drive as he felt it was more trailer than his truck could tow (2004 F-350 diesel short bed). The truck pulled it fine, but I think he needed to balance it better as there was easily 10'+ behind the wheels and it made it feel the the tail was wagging the dog if you know what I mean. He just left for 90 days to Iraq so when he gets back we'll see what we can do to make it more balanced.

This is all great responses guys.I just pulled the trigger on a new08 GMC CC-Dually 4sa option package.I am just waiting for the paperwork and I will cut the check.Can't wait to drive her.Will get the 1k miles on the truck first then hook-up and go!

This is all great responses guys.I just pulled the trigger on a new08 GMC CC-Dually 4sa option package.I am just waiting for the paperwork and I will cut the check.Can't wait to drive her.Will get the 1k miles on the truck first then hook-up and go!

One important thing to know is draining the rear differential after you tow for the first time. Some change out at 500 miles, others go a little longer. During breakin, the rear gets really hot so it is recommended you drain and refill.

One important thing to know is draining the rear differential after you tow for the first time. Some change out at 500 miles, others go a little longer. During breakin, the rear gets really hot so it is recommended you drain and refill.

Thanks for the advice, I will do that.

congrats on the truck jim... now you gonna have to bring it up for a lv meet so we can chack it out :D ... its as good an excuse as any eh?? :p

Back