• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5.7 gas to 6.5 TD

Billybob

Reaction score
I have a '93 6.5 that I'd like to put in place of a '97 5.7 . The 6.5 is coming from a 2x4 3/4 ton and going into a 4x4 3/4ton. Any pointers? How ignorant of a job is it?

I'd say I'm fairly knowledgeable... I've been a bush mechanic for a few years now. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible but I will definitely not hesitate to spend the money needed and yes, I do think I'd have all the tools

This project gets started and left unfinished often. Only do this if you are inlove with the truck and this engine and you will keep it for many years. Otherwise it is a mistake.

Dash gauges is something most no one thinks of.

You need 3/8 fuel supply and 5/16 fuel return lines minimum. If going for high power then larger.
What transmission- 4l80e or manual? If auto get a stand alone controller and the 4l80e (or bigger like. 4l85e). Not the 4l60.
These engines loose the battle of overheating- do the electroviscous fan clutch during install. And the radiator for the 350 isn’t gonna cut it.
Basically there is a ton of info to learn about the 6.5 here- do that before making the swap. Many of us are 6.5 fans, but only because we know all the stuff it takes to make it a reliable engine for specific uses. It is the wrong engine for other folks.

I wish there was a way to rearrange the threads so each time one like this pops up we could just go “read these 5 threads”. Haha.

It's a 4L80E. Basically, I bought the 2x4 in hopes of the trans being a quick fix but upon further inspection, it needs more than a trans. So I bought the 4x4 with a blown up 5.7 for 1/4 the cost to fix the 2x4 and the truck I drive now is a miracle on wheels and ready to get retired very shortly so I have no choice. I plan on changing everything over(electrical, cab, exhaust, fuel lines and tank,etc)

If you have the knowledge, tools (not just wrenches but engine hoist, welder, electrical connector tools, etc.) and experience in swapping engine, ECM, electronics, electrical wire, dash cluster, etc., then you are all set.

As Will said, we are good at keeping it running but no knowledge on engine R&R.
A few do but they are hardly posting here.
There is a section on transplanting engine here also under "Diesel Engine Conversion".
Check if there are post about this type of job.

Another thing you need is the Service Manual.
Not sure if you need it for both vehicle or just the 6.5L.
Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

I have the factory service manuals for the 93 that I’d sell if you want them. I possibly have them for the 97 to

I have the factory service manuals for the 93 that I’d sell if you want them. I possibly have them for the 97 to
I definitely wouldn't be against that. Just to get them to Thunder bay would be the hardest part

Back