• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5.7 exhaust manifold gasket replacement

rlb

Reaction score
My tbi 5.7 '94 truck has a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. The previous owner did a head gasket replacement about 1.5 years ago and I suppose did not torque the exhaust manifold bolts down enough. Two were loose and causing the leak. I snugged them back up, but it still leaks. Gasket is toast.

Is changing the gaskets as simple as removing all of the bolts, sliding the old gaskets out and new ones in? Assuming I can get the bolts out easily. If it looks like any are stuck I will abandon the job there. Last time I did an exhaust manifold was with my uncle several years ago and I cant remember if we struggled with scraping gaskets, etc..

It is a small leak and I have to use my truck a lot in the next week. I need to tow a 7000 lb boat 6 hours this weekend, then it leaves immediately for a 14hr round trip to nashville TN. The leak is small enough that it could be put off fixing. But I have about 4 hours tomorrow to work on it before this weekend and would love to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Gaskets aren't required as soot can seal up manifolds. Beware the manifolds may have warped badly (true underlying problem) and may not even bolt back on the engine. Headers are a good choice to repair warped manifolds, but, have to be re-torqued.

Gaskets blow out and are done after that - won't reseal. Running without can leak a little or tick. I run without because the gaskets usually burn through just before the top of the grade...

As far as scraping the old gasket, it's luck of the draw. I've had some pop right out and others take some elbow grease. Yep pull the bolts and pop of the manifold out.

I'm gonna go after it tomorrow morning. Thanks 4 the replies.

I had it in at an exhaust shop for a new muffler and high flow cat yesterday. Much better but they missed this leak. It seems like the leak is actually a lot quieter though, maybe due to reduced back pressure. You can only hear it when you step on the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always used the little silver colored individual drop in one's that do one port at a time or bare with a little bead of high temperature rtv

Back