• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4wd Actuator

Thats the problem- the down size the engine too far. If they would keep the engine larger and have the turbo only be an efficiency multiplier, the engine would last. And if you get the smaller engine that gets its power from the turbo and drive it nice and easy- it will last usually. But work a gas turbo engine hard that is slightly undersized for the task and it dies too soon.

Here’s my current conditions:
3F760EBB-B174-4CD3-A91F-EC5B5978CEE3.jpeg

I have the drive shoveled clear under it. Can throw down cardboard. I kinda draw the line at working in subzero temperatures. Supposed to warm up above freezing this week, which may give me a shot. It's not an urgent fix as the 4Runner is working like a champ.

I have no garage to work in. And its single digit temps. Lol
Might have to wait until warmer weather to attempt this.
I had that one year. Stuck in the yard with the 94 K3500

I dug enough snow to change it. I'm not sure how I got the part here. Wife wasn't around. She had the 98 Suburban. Daughter had the 96 Suburban. Not sure who had the Tahoe.
But my only option was to wait or change the part.
I remember the little wire that you had to swap for the newer part was a pia.

I've been running in 2wd for about 4 or 5 years now. All I need I guess. Lol
As long as it moved forward I drove it.
Interestingly enough, the ground was the first thing I checked years back. I ran a solid copper jumper from battery to undercab location. Stripped all the wires and reattached. I thought I had that issue fixed. But I might not have. I couldn't find a good video showing how to test with a meter. Until now.

I didn't test with any meter or anything. Just went right to the source. Just fixed my 4wd. It was the ground. I followed one of the vids above. Pulled off fender liner on drivers side snd tapped into black wire. Stripped the sheathing and wrapped a new stripped wire around it. Then taped it good. Ran a new wire to firewall ground. Started truck and it worked. I am shocked because years back that was the first thing I fixed. I thought I fixed I guess.
But I'm glad. Have not test driven it yet, but it shifts into 4wd and back into 2wd while idling in driveway. It has to work. Everything that is replaceable is new. Except for tcase control module.

I didn't test with any meter or anything. Just went right to the source. Just fixed my 4wd. It was the ground. I followed one of the vids above. Pulled off fender liner on drivers side snd tapped into black wire. Stripped the sheathing and wrapped a new stripped wire around it. Then taped it good. Ran a new wire to firewall ground. Started truck and it worked. I am shocked because years back that was the first thing I fixed. I thought I fixed I guess.
But I'm glad. Have not test driven it yet, but it shifts into 4wd and back into 2wd while idling in driveway. It has to work. Everything that is replaceable is new. Except for tcase control module.
Success! My turn next!

Bit cold this am, but got underneath to check for the above shown switch on the transfer case. Based on the roller ball design, I would expect it to follow the indents on the shifter in the transfer case. Could not find anything in that area. What I did find was a switch or sender on the output shaft of the transfer case to the front differential. Not sure if this has anything to do with shifting:
5AB497DD-D4A8-4593-B4C0-589707F7AC66.jpeg

Back