• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4wd actuator wiring PLEASE HELP!!!!

dag

Reaction score
i got a 96 burb. i have the updated wiring for the electric actuator. the brown is ran to a key on 12v power source, then there's the other 2 wires that run to a 2 pin connector. if i can recall correctly, the 2 pin connector is suppose to have a mating connector. but i believe someone messed with this burb before i got it. The mating connector is missing and there is no 4wd relay on the firewall. I cant even find any sign that there was one. i spent 7 hrs strait, chasing wires and cant find what wire tells the actuator (ON) my question is, does anyone know what color wire and where it can be located at the firewall in order to run a new command wire from the push button switch to the front actuator in order for it to engage? the ground is easy i can ground that anywhere.

Thanks

When I did mine, I just find a Youtube video on it.
It is the same for gasser or diesel.
Follow their direction.
Not sure if yours has been modified then you need to post picture on what is the current situation.

yea i been searching wiring diagrams and everything. by the look of the wiring diagram, the brown wire on the TC switch should be tapped into with the wire harness for the electric actuator, then the blue wire on the TC switch gets ran to the actuator as well and all is left is a ground. someone hooked the brown on the actuator harness to the "key on power" for the windshield wiper motor which isn't the installation instructions. is the blue wire on the TC switch correct to run to the actuator?

ok so i was playing around with it again last night. i replaced the TC switch and still nothing. i ran a test light and the blue wire on the TC switch was sending the Ground signal when in 2wd and shuts off when in 4wd. isn't that suppose to be the other way around? i dont believe the blue sends positive current but i could be wrong. After everything i have read and traced i was under the assumption that the actuator takes 1 12v hot, and 2 grounds. 1 ground being constant and the other ground to command the actuator. i switched a pin in the plug to the middle port due to when i bench tested it, i had to ground the middle and lower left pin of the actuator with 12v to the top right pin to get it to move.

ok so i was playing around with it again last night. i replaced the TC switch and still nothing. i ran a test light and the blue wire on the TC switch was sending the Ground signal when in 2wd and shuts off when in 4wd. isn't that suppose to be the other way around? i dont believe the blue sends positive current but i could be wrong. After everything i have read and traced i was under the assumption that the actuator takes 1 12v hot, and 2 grounds. 1 ground being constant and the other ground to command the actuator. i switched a pin in the plug to the middle port due to when i bench tested it, i had to ground the middle and lower left pin of the actuator with 12v to the top right pin to get it to move.

Figured it out last night. Pins were in the wrong spot on the 600-600 wiring harness plug and the 600-600 wiring harness doesn't plug into 96 suburban's stock wire harness. there are 2 ways to make the actuator work. 2 grounds and a hot or 2 hots and a ground. on the 96 suburban the TC switch sends 12V to the plug next to the actuator once 4x4 is selected. a female 2 pin plug needs to be spliced in place of the suburban's plug. once i re-did the pins on the plug and the spliced the new female 2 pin plug in, the actuator now works.

thanks for your help man. what a nightmare

Figured it out last night. Pins were in the wrong spot on the 600-600 wiring harness plug and the 600-600 wiring harness doesn't plug into 96 suburban's stock wire harness. there are 2 ways to make the actuator work. 2 grounds and a hot or 2 hots and a ground. on the 96 suburban the TC switch sends 12V to the plug next to the actuator once 4x4 is selected. a female 2 pin plug needs to be spliced in place of the suburban's plug. once i re-did the pins on the plug and the spliced the new female 2 pin plug in, the actuator now works.

thanks for your help man. what a nightmare
Yay! Every victory matters. Now I just need the shop manuals and my ‘99 back down in SoCal so I can work on the transfer case shifting electrical.

Back