• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e ?

Chet M

Reaction score
I have a 93' 3500 dually with a 454 and 4l8oe transmission. I lost all forward gears at one time. I have a 94 1 ton with a 5.7 vortec with a 4l80e and would like to swapp the transmission . The wiring looks to be slightly differnt not sure if i should/can make the swapp. If so what do i need to do/purchase to make sure i only do this once and not tear up the transmission. Would it be better to just to have the 93 fixed? I Could really use some info before i go and waist money and time.

91-93 is one 4l80e and 94+ is another. If you have a 4x4 the swap will require tearing the trans down and adding a output reluctor, if it's a 4x2 you could swap valve bodies, but chances are your 93 valve body will need cleaned, checked, and gone through. I would get your 93 rebuilt.

91-93 is one 4l80e and 94+ is another. If you have a 4x4 the swap will require tearing the trans down and adding a output reluctor, if it's a 4x2 you could swap valve bodies, but chances are your 93 valve body will need cleaned, checked, and gone through. I would get your 93 rebuilt.

Its a 2 wheel. I plan on rebuilding at a later time if possible. I already have a 94 that is in wrecked truck that if possible use to save some money till i can have the my other 454 and trans rebuilt.

Mr Thefermanator,
I am in the same boat as Chet M...

I've got a 92 K3500 Chevy truck. 4x4. 454tbi. Long box. Crew cab. Auto 4l80e.

My transmission lost reverse and overheated during snowplowing. The engine also has issues with overheating exhaust manifolds and 200,000 + miles.

I found a 1995 RV 454 with 4l80e. 18,000 miles. 2wd.

I thought it would be a perfect power train swap, but I think from your post above it won't work.

Simply put, would this RV 95 454 and 4l80e fit into a 1992 k3500 4wd?

I don't want to rebuild the transmission and still have an tired motor, and the truck is not worth rebuilding both motor and transmission. I could do the work of a swap, but not a rebuild...

Buy the 95. Yank the 454 out for your truck. Part out the 95 and sell the low mileage 4L80E out of it. Use that money and get the 4L80E in your 92 rebuilt. Put the newer 454 and rebuilt tranny into your 92. Simplest and cheapest solution.

Nevermind what I said. RV=motorhome, not the old R/V 2/4wd platform. What you want to do by swapping across platforms and from 2wd to 4wd will cost you FAR more in labor, parts and MONEY than just rebuilding your existing 92 4wd 4L80E and 454.

Back