• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E with TCI TCU question

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
took the trans out of the 96 and put it in the 93. hooked up the tcu and on the handheld it shows that it's always in 2nd gear. there are no trouble codes. it doesn't engage in gear no matter which gear i select.
in park it doesn't roll and does roll in neutral like normal. watched the selector while the shifter was being moved and it does physically move.
here is the tcu i put in:
http://www.tciauto.com/media/custom/upload/CPG5-103.pdf
is my trans dead or is there something else?

Sounds like something isn’t hooked up correctly. Or, my guess, the torque converter wasn’t on all the way and the pump is broken.

With that said, I have the same controller and had an issue with it being in limp mode bc the controller went bad, but it still had reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or it could be as simple as you are really low on transmission fluid.

i will go and check the fluid now.
guy who put it in swears he didn't force anything. he left the converter bolted on the flex plate from when he pulled the old trans. the tcu isn't showing any faults though. was your led flashing when it stopped working?
and the handheld is constantly showing 2nd gear.......

So he slid the transmission into place while also lining the torque converter up? If he did not put the converter onto the transmission BEFORE installing the transmission into the truck, I can guarantee he broke it. Takes an extra 10 min to unbolt the converter and slide it onto the transmission, an extra 10 min that is well worth the time.

well then all i can say is 'oh f@#k me'! i thought i was doing him a favor by paying him instead of a shop. and i work with him.
is the pump broke? i can use the one from the old one if so. and is it difficult?

Most likely the pump is broken. What usually happens is the shaft is forced into the back of the pump and cracks it. If you’re lucky, maybe he just broke the converter. But every time I’ve seen someone not get the converter on correctly, they’ve broken the pump.

I believe the pumps are the same, but it requires a special tool to pull it out. If you’re creative, you can make a tool. Your best bet would probably be to take it somewhere that will change the pump for you.

If he broke the converter and not the pump, you should be able to loosen one of the cooler lines and there should be pressure.

He didn’t force that together at all did he lol. Don’t mean to laugh at your misfortune. It’s a shame when people say they can do something when in fact they cannot. Now instead of having a running truck, you paid a guy to break your transmission and then have to fork out cash to repair his screw up, that most likely will not be cheap. I’d ask him for my money back. At least hopefully now you’ll get it fixed properly and back up and running.

This is why I end up doing virtually all my own work. I can F it up as bad as the next guy and I’m definitely cheaper.

We took my wife’s SLK 280 in to have the AC compressor replaced. Really tight fit and I did not want to do the job. Less than 4 miles from the shop and the composite pulley on the power steering pump disintegrates, taking out the serpentine belt. Power steering pump is directly above the AC compressor. He must have hit the pulley during installation. But it gets better, or worse.

I install a new OEM power steering pump and serpentine belt. Take it for a drive and at a stop about 1/2 mile from home it starts blowing white smoke from the engine. Get out and take a look and it’s dumping oil. It was hemorrhaging like a shot deer. Take it in to an independent Mercedes shop and described the events leading up to this. He observes it while it was running and concludes that a piece of the belt had gotten wrapped around the crank behind the pulley and chewed up the seal. He was right. SMH.

........I’d ask him for my money back. At least hopefully now you’ll get it fixed properly and back up and running...
we work together so i don't want to ruin the atmosphere. i'm the new guy, shop keeper, and he's one of the mechanics. i will let him know and if he offers i will grab it. otherwise, it was a hard lesson to learn.

Back