• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e with Diesel 6.2 in a 48 Buick! need advise on the box!

pxr5

Reaction score
Ok first off I'm in the Uk, that means parts cost loads more here, ( like double! ).
I need to control the Gearbox, I'm ok,on electronics, so what about using the GM module? how hard is it to do, any info about doing this,? what about finding one?.cost? ect...
The after market ECU's, are costly here, any suggestions?

Thanks for help!!

Thanks for that, but it gets kinda pricey when you add shipping+customs duty, not sure how the other link is is relevant?

The old Buick probably has a pretty tall (numerically low) rear gear. Maybe just use a TH400 or TH350? Even a TH700 would work, maybe better because they don't need vacuum to operate, just a Throttle Valve cable.

Further, any trans that will bolt up to a Chevrolet small block, big block, older inline six, 4.3 V6 will bolt up to a 6.2/5.. Even a manual trans bellhousing (old school muncie and saginaw 3-4 speeds) will work. New Venture (NV)3500 & 4500 5 speed manuals too.

The Buick has the running gear from a 70's Skylark, 455, Th400 & the matching axle about 3:1 ratio.
I've the option of a TH700r4 od box from a gas engine, that might be a better bet, with a low stall converter & change/ mod the valve?

If the 700 is from a V8 application, stall should be 'ok'.. Not perfect, but ok. Won't matter in 'lockup' on the highway.

Depending on the rear ratio of the vehicle that donated the 700, you may have to tinker with the Governor valve. (shift points as a result from different final drive gearing)

Lockup solenoid on the 700 can be controlled by a simple toggle switch.

Throttle Valve cable MUST be used with these 700's..

On the flip side of the coin, the 4L80E with a stand alone controller would be an all encopassing, plug and play, damn near bulletproof setup.

With your custom drivetrain, it could be changed on the fly by pecking at a keyboard.

Leroy diesel has a few youtube videos I remember with him and his 4BT Cummins Suburban backed by a 4L80E controlled by a Compushift if I recall correctly. Pretty cool tech.

added: maybe it was an Isuzu engine, been a while.

Further, any trans that will bolt up to a Chevrolet small block, big block, older inline six, 4.3 V6 will bolt up to a 6.2/5.. Even a manual trans bellhousing (old school muncie and saginaw 3-4 speeds) will work. New Venture (NV)3500 & 4500 5 speed manuals too.

The only thing with the older GM bellhousings that I've found is that the diesel starter nose will not always fit. The diesel starter nose is apparently bigger than the nose on the older gasser starters. I have an older GM bellhousing here that will not accept the diesel starter due to the starter swell in the bellhousing is too small. The bellhousing is the smaller diameter opening for the tranny input bearing housing, earlier sm465 tranny I think. I'm not really well versed on the earlier GM trannies and bellhousings, just know what I have here that won't work.

Don

Any one used the Transgo manual shift kit?, done the search here, but not too clear on how good/ bad they are.

There was a member here, I think 6.2turbo, that was tinkering with a full manual 4L80E. Transgo does make a kit that uses a modulator valve (ala TH400) to control line rise, but the shifting has to be fully manual with no way to control the shift solenoids as the 'E' transmissions lack a governor valve.

I personally have not done a 'manual' 4L80E.

The only thing with the older GM bellhousings that I've found is that the diesel starter nose will not always fit. The diesel starter nose is apparently bigger than the nose on the older gasser starters. I have an older GM bellhousing here that will not accept the diesel starter due to the starter swell in the bellhousing is too small. The bellhousing is the smaller diameter opening for the tranny input bearing housing, earlier sm465 tranny I think. I'm not really well versed on the earlier GM trannies and bellhousings, just know what I have here that won't work.

Don

That is true Don. There are the direct drive starters (think Big Block) that were used in the 80's for the 6.2 that would work. For a little while. (gear reduction starters are the way to go)

Any one used the Transgo manual shift kit?, done the search here, but not too clear on how good/ bad they are.

I have a full manual 4L80E in my 72 Chevelle. I would not recomend it in a daily driver.

Don

FWIW
Powermaster 9052 6.2/6.5 diesel starters do not have nosecones to get in the way.

Back