• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E tcc solenoid question

Rune Noraberg

Reaction score
Hi, i just purchased a 1994 silverado 6.5td.
The transmission allmost allways go into limp. I blink tested the obd contact and got a code 32 tcc solenoid.
I measured the resistance on the solenoid wich was 1.8ohms, is this too low?

I dont know about the resistance to the solenoid, Just stepping into say welcome to the truck stop forum.
People with a lot more knowledge than I will step in and give You the information.

Hi, i just purchased a 1994 silverado 6.5td.
The transmission allmost allways go into limp. I blink tested the obd contact and got a code 32 tcc solenoid.
I measured the resistance on the solenoid wich was 1.8ohms, is this too low?
Code 83 means the tcm has detected a voltage error in the tcc circuit. I looked and what I could find says 8-12 ohmsfor the tcc solenoid, so it looks like yours is done. I would strongly reccomend sticking with oem ac delco parts for this job.

Code 83 means the tcm has detected a voltage error in the tcc circuit. I looked and what I could find says 8-12 ohmsfor the tcc solenoid, so it looks like yours is done. I would strongly reccomend sticking with oem ac delco parts for this job.
Replaced the solenoid now with a new one measuring 11ohms, still only r-1-2.

Addidtional info:
Trans is sometimes hard to get into reverse, makes some awful scratching sounds and suddenly jumps into rev.
Sometimes when putting the trans into OD on the shifter it tries to shift to 4th maybe? even when trans is in limp, also making baaad sounds and just ends up dropping out of gear completely, like putting a manual into neutral.

Will go out and read codes again now, updating.

Error codes:

f*** me...

The two ratio codes could be from the first run with new fluid i think.

From the description of the sound of the trans, I do not think I`d even try to rebuild that one, unless the case is very closely inspected.

For some odd reason it decided to work in all gears 1-OD today...

But now reverse rarely works and i have to put the gear lever in D to go anywhere and later shift to OD.

No, the ratio codes are from internal slippage. 94's had several weaknesses that got corrected in 97+ versions of the 4L80E. If the PCM/TCM puts the transmission into "limp mode" with full line pressure, it was not uncommon for that to cause the Reverse Band Apply Piston to either blow out the face of the piston and/or seal. That leak causes a loss of Reverse and also OD and D along with that many times (happened to my '94 when it was running full line pressure). Also, the Reverse Band had only ONE anchor point on the case (later updated to two anchors on 97+) which would break loose and cause those same symptoms AND FUBAR the transmission case at the same time. Fill out your signature with your vehicle's data, milage, modifications, etc. Makes it a lot easier to help you if we know some of the basic details of your truck. About 150-200,000 miles (~250-330,000 Km) is the max life expectancy of the '94 version 4L80E depending on how it was treated before needing to be rebuilt (provided it did break the case internally if the Reverse Band Anchor broke loose, then the case is unfixable and trash). Seen them go toast with less mileage on them, seen them go longer. All depends on how it was treated.

Back