• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E rebuild time.

3500GMC

What T F, over
Reaction score
Or so I think. This one is in the '93. (truck in sig) Got right at 250,000 miles but I think the thing has been 'rebuilt' at some point in time. Probably with just clutches and seals, just a guess. Doubt the roller sprags or bushings were done.. Like I said, just a guess.

So we have this problem, no reverse with a grinding sound and no movement. Got all forward gears in all ranges (1,2,D,OD) with no noises on acceleration..

Will not engine brake, only a clanky grinding sound. Even a coast with no torque load will display this not-so-nice noise in any range.

So what did I do? Band anchor? OD sprag roller?

I will probably have to tear it completely down anyway you look at it, so this thread can serve as a documentary for my compulsory exercise in futility, lol. :blackeye:

First I need to yank it out... T-case off first, right? Then trans.? Or can I drop the whole chunk out?

Sounds like you either broke the low reverse band anchor(semi common due to pressure spikes), or the reverse piston cracked which is fairly common. Unfortunately this is a semi common issue with the 4L80E trans due to uncontrolled pressure spikes, and these spikes seem to be worse in early 91-93 trannies that utilized the cleaning cycle every 10 seconds which goes full line for a split second. If there is ANY problem i nthe PCS dampening circuit, it will also cause this problem. The reason it takes reverse out is line pressure is about 50% higher in reverse than forward, so it just makes the spikes even higher and can crack apply pistons, or brake off anchor points.

This may turn into a can of worms- as a matter of fact, I know it will. Need to replace a leaky hydroboost that's been oiling down the frame for way too long. Need a fuel level sender. Probably will need a t-case chain but donno this fo sure. Needs shocks and I'd like to weld in some new cab corners and rocker panels..

Maybe I can start by cleaning out a hole in the shop first....:meh:

And w, ww www.. winter is coming straight towards us and the Ol F-er won't wait for Nobody.

Back