• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E no overdrive

A Aron

Reaction score
I have a 1997 allegro motor home with 454 ci and 4L80E transmission and there is no difference when shifting from D to OD and that’s whether shifting up or down even at 70 mph

The PCM uses input from the speed sensors, engine rpm, throttle position and temperature sensors all to control overdrive. Get a scanner on it, check for codes, check your sensor data and go from there. I feel like a broken record on this site lately.

The PCM uses input from the speed sensors, engine rpm, throttle position and temperature sensors all to control overdrive. Get a scanner on it, check for codes, check your sensor data and go from there. I feel like a broken record on this site lately.

The DLC has a fused power source. On the trucks it normally shares the cigarette lighter fuse or the aux power fuse for a power source. I dont remember on the RVs if it's the same. Check all your fuses and go from there
In a pinch I've jumped power to the DLC.

Last edited:
Being a motorhome it would surprise me. 96 was D day for obd2, but there were a lot of medium duty trucks, step vans, and motorhomes that got waivers up to 99. When I was Mac guy, I almost bought a 99 chevy step van that was obd1. They had to pay fines that went up dramatically after 2,000 units produced.

That’s why GM jumped the gun so much on the ds4 on 6.5s- they knew it would kill them. I really wish they had waited a couple more years before rolling it out.

Back