• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e hunting gears 6.5l

Normal driving I never seen lockup in 3rd, only in 4th gear. Yes, if trans temp goes to high, it will lockout 4th and lockup the converter in 3rd to help reduce trans temps. I would start by unplugging the trans plug and looking for oil in the plug. Over time oil leaking in the plug can break down the insulation on the wires, and eventually let them short out. The trans temp sensor on mid 93's and up(or any with the new style plug) is built into the internal trans harness. I know here in the states the internal harness is readily available, and not very much money. I would check all the harnesses closely though for signs of oil intrusion. I had a 93 once where it was a farm truck. The combination of manure, mud, and oil had literally melted all the insulation off of the wires going to the transmission. It was giving randomn shifting and high line pressure issues. I had to cut the harness open, remove the tape, and then try seperating the wires to find the problem.
I havent either seen lockup in 3rd before, but i have not towed any thing yet. I did check the plug yesterday, no oil what i could see.. I Will take a closer look on the harness when i can get a helping hand from someone :)

Might be different for pickups. I know it's been awhile, but I remember putting mine in 3rd, and do not remember it locking. I even remember towing a heavy trailer, it kicking down at 65, and not locking because I started slowing down when it hit the limiter.

With the way so many are jumping around, I would suspect an issue with your data stream, or a ground issue somewhere causing your data stream to do that.

The ones that are jumping around should do that, its fel related parameters. The only one who should not change with throttle is the tranny temp

Back