• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E - > 4L85E

denata

Reaction score
What is the difference between 4l80e and 4l85e? What should be changed in 4l80e to make 4l85e?

I'm tired of changing direct clutch discs after 10000 mi

Idk what it takes, I am interested to learn also. But direct clutch disks going that soon- wow- something doesn’t sound right.

There's not many differences between them, mostly heat treating of the intermediate and output shafts(it was only a 10 ft lb increase in rated torque handling). Direct clutch failure is because GM dual feeds it in reverse, but only single feeds it in forward. Most internally modify them to dual feed all the time when rebuilding them, or add in the transgo hd2 kit if not rebuilding them.

I did such a modernization, it became tough to work, and with a strong jerk.
I returned everything as it was

Removed one ring in direct drama. And a ring on support. And drowned out one channel.
In theory, the direct should have been squeezed with great effort. Approximately twice, all other things being equal.
But the switches became jerky. Probably something needs to be done with pressure accumulators or bypass balls.

3th.pngrevers.png12.jpg14.jpg13.jpg11.jpgrevers (1).png

Back