• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e 1995 c2500 2wd

Reaction score
hi everyone, got this truck to pull camper, it wasnt running runs now but when it shifts out of 1st gear it bucks and stalls. any ideas and if i need a different trans what will fit for that year. thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome.
What engine and because of the odd nature, if you do a Youtube video and post a link here that hat might help.

Do you have a way to jack up and set on some quality jack stands? Take the wheels off and place them under the rear frame, and see if it will go through the gears without the load of the truck on it. Idea of removing wheels is just for added safety incase it comes off stands. If you can do it where there is room to drive away at 25 mph then leave the wheels on.

Please put the truck info in your signature line also. That way it’s always there for future posts and we dont have to ask what details are.

Check the brake switch is working properly. Known weak point on our trucks.

But regardless of brake switch- the tc should not stay locked up and cause engine fail. The tc is not allowing disengagement and if engine rpm being maintained by trans input shaft speed- if brake switch is stuck on- tc should never lock. If brake switch never comes on- that shouldn’t keep it locked up- would it? I feel like I am missing something here. Kinda distracted, but still not seeing it.

Yes, I agree. Thats why I cant see a defective brake switch causing the issue.
However if a scanner/ computer is hooked up, a command from brake switch to tcc would tell it.
It would tell if anything is called for it to be locked up. If its all good and nothing is called for, and line pressure is in range- then I would say defective tc.

Had that happen on a fresh reman 700R4 in a 87 K1500. Trans shop mailed me over pan gasket, fluid, solenoid and trans internal wire harness.
They had me switch out those components and worked good as new.
I’m sure the TCC solenoid would have fixacated it.
Oh yeah, they also sent a check for $125.00 for me rolling in tje snowbank to get it all accomplished. 😹😹😹
Welcome to the forum.

Back