• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80

In fleet full of them- we NEVER changed the fluid or filters. Consistently 250,000 miles from all of them minimum. 85-90% of them the trucks were sold a while after 300,000 miles. Maybe 35% of the time the transmission started having problems and was the reason to take it out of service.

We had a fleet of 4 K3500 and every 69000 miles the trans needed replaced. I have stretched it to over 80 000 miles.
Wow!!! How heavy did you guys tow? Never ever saw a 4l80E die short of 100,000 miles unless a cooling line got broken from road debris or crash. We had a few hundred trucks in the fleet at all times and many crushed the 100,000 miles per year schedule.

Mine had 296K on it now and as far as I can tell, it has the original trans. engine was verified to be original. still drives strong, I have often wondered the same. how the life expectancy of these 4l80's are. My poor ram 1500 only had 170k or so on it and it's showing signs of trans failure. does not shift past 2nd unless you take you foot off the go pedal for a second and when cold it whines and doesn't move until you let it warm up a couple minutes. I feel like the ram had exceeded it's expected life with a 46re folks say you've done good if it lasts past 100k!

At 300,000 I say get ready for a tow truck in not too distant the future.
We see a lot of people want to out an old one for another used one (almost always from a different year and engine). But i feel this is almost always a mistake. When possible- before it starts breaking things inside-Pull it out, have it completely gone through. Follow the buy once cry once motto with it. Replace the cooler, new rubber lines and orings to the cooler and upgrade it when possible. Shiny new triple disk lockup converter to feed those new upgrades inside and put it back in knowing you are gonna get another 300,000 trouble free miles. People cry over a couple grand for getting it done but to have it better than new is worth it to me.

In the process of putting together a transmission adaptor for the engine stand.
IMG_7904.jpeg
Getting ready to pull the engine, 260,000 plus miles, transmission and transfer case coming out too.
Engine getting new seals and gaskets, stop up them leeeeks.
Transmission seems a little sluggish so it too is getting new clutch paks, seals and gaskets.

Back