• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80 Intermittent 3&4 ????

alleyoop

Reaction score
Hello. Been doing some reading here and learned a lot, but would like to narrow this down. I found and printed moosehunt's thread to pore over.

My truck is a 12/92 Chev 2500 4wd 6.5 Turbo with Banks kit, 190K miles, owned 12 yrs, and have serviced it regularly.
Only repairs to date have been injector pump w/fsb new hydraulic head, injectors rebuilt, timing kit and water pump at 162k,
other than brakes, shocks, radiator, and a Pitman arm. I do need to pull the steering wheel and replace a bad wiper switch lead,
apparently. I’ve never had an auto tranny apart. Please excuse the detailed long post, as an attempt to give you enough info to
help.

First occurrence other than the idiot light flashing a very few times so fast I couldn’t tell which one on the highway was loss
of 3&4 when slowing to exit the freeway with a trailer on. After stopping to check, I continued to the job site. Borrowed a
Riley’s reader that day and got “vehicle not responding”. Put Sea Foam in, drove it around. Went to a tranny shop where I know
them to get it read but the light went out and it worked perfectly, including highway test, and no error codes would read.

Thought maybe I had cleaned a stuck valve or solenoid and drove it. Light came back on the next day and I only had 1 & 2. Ran
it back to the shop, the light went out, and it wouldn’t respond at first to the reader, then connected and no error codes, then
worked perfect on a freeway test run with the reader connected and trailer on. Dropped the pan, inspected for loose connections,
serviced. Absolutely clean and no metal. Some rear seal seepage showing but fluid not low at any time.

Went to the job site to load up to go 350 miles home over mountains. When I left the next day, the service light was on and I
only had 1&2 again. Prayed. 1 mile later it kicked in, and I made it home with only two brief flashes of the light and no
problems, with at least a ton of payload over mountain passes.

Pulled pass-through plug off case, found a little fluid, so cleaned pins w/ brass brush, coated with dielectric, then made
perfect 10-mile test run. Made it home from next job a week later last 20 miles in second gear, pulled plug again, cleaned, no
dielectric grease, problem remained intermittent, sometimes changing with engine off-time, even cycling the ignition, but no
constants. Got nearest dealer on phone. They want $390 I don’t have for an FSB retro-updated plug/ harness kit out of Memphis,
[24200161], claim they can no longer access the old factory service bulletin to see if the plug can cause this problem. Pulled,
inspected, cleaned remaining trans & transfer case plugs, still intermittent. Hauled necessary hay trailer and grain in 1&2 with
no problems, still intermittent 3&4, but less often when hot.

Found a local guy with a reader, got there with light on after several tries, (seems more likely after considerable
driving), “vehicle not responding”, no stored codes. He tried jumping the right pins for flash codes from his book and nothing.
He says it has to be electrical problems.

Had to haul trailer local again, so pulled the trans fuse on a downhill to see what gives. Light went out, defaulted to 2nd
second only. I thought it was supposed to “limp” in 3rd?
Shut off truck, plugged fuse back in, light went out, hauled trailer over 5 miles at 55 in fourth before it went “neutral” and
light came back on. Hauled hay home in 1&2. Nearest shop claims they can read it even if it won’t talk for $50 with their new
$2500 computer reader, charged me $20 to print some nearly illegible wiring diagrams off their computer service. I will cough it
up so long as they will agree not to charge me if they can’t read it, but need to see any error codes, and need more research
first, since apparently these can false solenoid codes from a bad ignition switch or PCM/ECM, and don’t want to be at their
mercy. I would also want them to read the thing on the road in 2-3 shift if possible. The first thing they said was “bad
intermediate seals” (rebuild), which may reference 2-4 servo assembly piston seals bad. Would that be intermittent? I have
since printed decent internal and external wiring diagrams from msgpio.com at a library, (don’t have internet), together with a
range reference chart for the solenoids, but lack a physical location diagram or photo for the solenoids to ID which is which, so
will keep looking. Suggestions?

My next step as soon as I can do without this thing for a couple of days is to drop the pan again, start checking resistance on
the plug and solenoid circuits, hopefully find a way (air?) to make sure they are good. Are these hard wired and if so what sort
of splices should I use? Can I jerk them, unplug the trans, and apply voltage to check operation individually without cutting
them loose? Is there a simple check to verify the pressure switch manifold circuits are good?

Can the 3rd accumulator ball and retainer assembly (check ball #7), stick intermittently, and would it get worse when hot? I’m
leaning toward electrical circuit problems or solenoids misfiring, but don’t want to take the wrong track through ignorance.

Advice, comments, questions welcome. We are in fly-over country, the nearest library is only open twice a week for half a day,
and no, the money isn’t even there for a rebuild, so please be patient. I was an ET and electrician when Moses was a baby, am a
decent troubleshooter by sectionalizing, but this control system is a maze without perfect maps and known physical locations of
components. Thanks kindly.

What is FSB?
Does sound like electrical issue. Do you have another TCM to try? Maybe the connections at the TCM are loose. Next time it happens have passenger wiggle the connector on TCM.

You prayed and made it home... The big boss maybe getting your attention some how?

Tranny limp mode is 2nd gear, not 3rd.

You have electrical issue no doubt. Start by pulling all grounds, clean and reinstall. Remove battery cables, clean and reinstall, make sure they are not corroding and pay attention to the spacer in there. Loss of power from ignition to tranny is option, also how scanners not reading says loss of power or ground to obd port.

There is something else I am missing here that is a semi common problem with loss feed to obd1 port, can't remember right now, sorry. Daggum long days cooking my brain in the sun.

Thanks for the tips. FSB is my acronym for factory service bulletin, Burning oil. Yea Will, He has my attention and my allegiance. He is kind to the undeserving and I'm living proof.

First time the place has been open since I posted this. More questions.

Is the TCM behind the glove box on this rig? Where exactly are the grounds I am to be checking besides the battery and engine grounds? Is there a case ground on the tranny external to the 11 pin plug? Is the OBD port the diagnostics plug under the drivers side dash? How can I easily verify no 12v from ignition to tranny when this is happening? Can anyone post a decent photo or drawing of physical locations of the various solenoids?

I haven't been back into it yet as priorities have had me hopping, but will get to the grounds this week. I should be able to get back here Friday to check responses. Thanks NVW for the link. That is a huge savings. Any more on how to test these solenoids individually with the pan down, installing them, splices, etc.?

Thanks again.

Your not gonna like this but, all grounds. Back of the heads, at tranny dipstick is a bad one, just trace the harness and start removing nuts, clean good and reinstall. A bad ground drives these things nuts.

My hummer is different than your pickup, so idk where your locations are for Tcm or other grounds, I slept since I last worked on pickups, so I forget, sorry.

I re-read this and had to make some comments.
Take the TCM out so you can drive around with it exposed. But before this, wire in or Back Probe the TCM harness @ the TCM for two connections (With two test lights. You want to see if the voltage is dropping out). 1 for Switched Ignition and 2. another for the Battery supply to the TCM. (I do NOT have the pinouts for a 1991-1993 TCM only 94 forward). Drive the truck until you experience the loss of 3rd and or 4th. If the Lights are still On for B+ and Sw Ign then give the TCM case a hard wrap or tap. If the TCM responds after a few taps in anyway, it has failed. It is what Delco terms as "Loose Solder Joints" where the connector pins have broken loose from the controller edge board losing contact. This is pretty common for most older ECM and TCM.

Keep in mind your truck, a 1992 or early 1993, has problems with the Ignition Switch. The TCM B+ and Sw Ign lights could still be ON and the transmissions B+ feed to the Shift Solenoids could be lost through the defective Ign Sw causing the trans to loose 3rd and 4th defaulting to 2nd or the Solenoid state OFF for both A and B.
The Trans Connector also had problems with leaking ATF and connection loss of contact.
The Trans also had problems with the Shift Solenoids "going Bad". Going Bad was mostly with the B sol because IT spent the most time in the OFF mode and the ball would pound the seat out of round and when energized it would leak not allowing the shift valve to shuttle into the next gear position.
Some of the ISS/OSS leaked ATF and a new design was released.
Your Force Motor is a BOSCH and is Silver in color. Some say you can put any FM in place or "You can Update it with a Black FM" DO NOT DO THIS. If you trace the 3 hydraulic circuits the FM controls and see the difference between the 91-93 and the 94-05 you wouldn't do this.

I keep these parts as one unit or together. The TCM, Force Motor, Valve body, spacer plate and gaskets. The 91-93 had the BOSCH FM and had a software routine to CLEAN the FM internally AND had that big spring in the AUX VB to compensate for the pressure loss. The 94-05 TCM had the Holley or BLACK FM design and does not have the big spring in the aux vb nor the cleaning routine.

I would suggest to get a Tech-1 scan tool or similar and ride the truck while recording or having some watch the data. Trigger the recording on any code and it should do this if the data does not drop.

I would also suggest you update the harness (both sides), Shift Solenoids, and Ignition Switch before you are stranded somewhere. Just my opinion and I hope this will help fix your truck.

Some Aftermarket companies have you drill the PUMP PRESSURE REG BALANCE HOLE LARGER. Another one is to drill a 0.035" hole in the pump to connect Line Pressure to Converter feed. If the Balance Hole is enlarged the result is this: LARGE PRESSURE SWINGS AND PUMP WHINE like the converter is going bad. It DOES NOT stop the pressure spikes as they say. The hole connecting Line Press and Converter feed does 2 things. BALOONS the converter by raising it's pressure and can cause the MAIN BEARING THRUST SURFACE TO FAIL INSIDE THE ENGINE and with More Pressure inside the converter it will DRAG THE PLATE and wear it out causing you to have CODES and slipping TCC.
I have measured all this and do not suggest any of these half thought out mods.

Thanks for the replies. Billyg, I have printed your post to study and try. I talked to a retired GM service director today who said the same thing as you, basically. Said these years used to drive his techs nuts with false codes, go bump in the night, etc. The upshot is he told me to find someone with a Tech 2 reader who will plug it in and go for a drive with me - that it should read all data and tell me if voltage is there, shift solenoid combos, etc., and that if it won't talk to a Tech 2, (light or no light, happening fault or not), I should replace the ECM/TCM box, because the solder joints go bad and intermittent. He opined this condition is more likely when hot because the cracked joints expand with temp. I sure am glad I waited to buy parts or tear this down. I'll try what you posted (and Will), and report back next week when this place is open.

Now, I hope the electrical site is back up, so I can begin the price search for a new brain, (not mine, the truck's).

Blessings,

Alleyoop (so simple a caveman can do it - well, with a little help)

Thanks for the replies. Billyg, I have printed your post to study and try. I talked to a retired GM service director today who said the same thing as you, basically. Said these years used to drive his techs nuts with false codes, go bump in the night, etc. The upshot is he told me to find someone with a Tech 2 reader who will plug it in and go for a drive with me - that it should read all data and tell me if voltage is there, shift solenoid combos, etc., and that if it won't talk to a Tech 2, (light or no light, happening fault or not), I should replace the ECM/TCM box, because the solder joints go bad and intermittent. He opined this condition is more likely when hot because the cracked joints expand with temp. I sure am glad I waited to buy parts or tear this down. I'll try what you posted (and Will), and report back next week when this place is open.

Now, I hope the electrical site is back up, so I can begin the price search for a new brain, (not mine, the truck's).

Blessings,

Alleyoop (so simple a caveman can do it - well, with a little help)

Well I hope it will help you. I really don't think this person was or is a Service DIRECTOR. They were to far removed to even know what a Loose solder Joint is. He was probably closer to a workin man as I was.
Anyway. I am assuming your truck IS a 1992 or 1993. The Tech-2 Might NOT read your TCM. (I don't know) It was a 1991-1993 only. The Tech-1 or Tech-1A WILL communicate with, command the solenoids AND erase the codes.

You should get a TEch-1 and enter your model year, then choose the VIN entry and select your VIN to get to your TCM. OR you can select Model Yr, and Diesel to get to it. (I know i'ts a TCM but the set up was for the engine entry and since there was only ONE application within GM that was TCM I elected not to tear up the selection screens and process.

The Tech-1 will function for your needs. A dealer should have at least one to use for you, if not go to another dealer.
The Tech-2 will only work on the 94 - 2005 TCM's and your select it through the Engine VIN or Diesel as well. I used the Diesel to select my own personal TCM in my truck. It has the 12 pin ALDL and T-2 has the adapter for this from the NEWER DLC 16 pin. It did function in calendar year 2000 through 2009 the last time I checked. I use my Tech-1 A or my laptop with a MOATES.COM ALDL cable with Tuner Pro for software. I wrote the TCM program for Tuner Pro RT for cal edit, Data viewing, and others.
I do not have the information nec to write a program for the 91-93 calibration Tuner Pro but you can get the Data Stream info and create your own Tuner Pro for your 93. If you would like I can post the ALDL info for Tuner Pro.

I do HAVE SEVERAL TCM's for a BOSCH FM which is yours I might sell. I use the 94 forward TCM.

One last word about an aftermarket TCM. I called ALL of them asking numerous questions when I was looking to change my truck up. My truck remains a OEM GM TCM. It will run at lower voltages if the ALT fails, has protection embedded inside, QUAD drivers can take a direct short to 12 volts and LIVE, Has Diagnostics AND protects the trans from BURNING UP CLUTCHES with a SIMPLE TPS Wire failure. (Burning up clutches makes you perform an Overhaul) The GM TCM will trigger the TPS diag, and set line pressure hi to PROTECT THE TRANS FROM BURNING UP, plus it sets the default TPS to a calibration of 35%. The 35% gives you a drivable throttle away from a stop most of the time, other wise the aftermarket upshifts at zero TPS in a failure. Outside TCM's will set some sort of diag if you have the TCM LED facing you IF a TPS fails But will not protect the trans by providing higher line pressure IF YOU GO WOT. When they have a TPS fail, and the driver goes WOT the TRANS BURNS UP. Other items are not protected either.
One draw back for OEM TCM from GM is you do have to re-calibrate it IF you are using a gasoline engine, provide a engine spd signal and use the DRAC. The DRAC is easy to set up and gives dead on VSS. It will Run Cruise, ABS AND Your Speedo where an aftermarket TCM will NOT.

Sorry to be so long getting back. I've been losing a race with Fall on the farm. Thanks again, and what do you want for a brain for that thing, Billy, and/or what should I pay for a good used one? I'm leaning toward the box. I finally got around to tearing out the ECM behind the glove box, took it apart and inspected under 5x magnification for cracked solder, inspected and cleaned connectors, IDed the B+ and ign + pins, together with the A and B pins on the tranny 11 pin plug with a VOM, checked ALL connector pin to board solder joints for high resistance, and found nothing, so I turned it around and left it loose for tests. I took it up the "drive", (half mile of primitive rock road), and the idiot light flashed when I tapped it, then came on, went out when I rapped it. I completed maybe 5 miles test drive with no more light. I headed in here today and it eventually came on with no 3&4, and voltage was still present at B+, the ignition feed, A&B. I did not separately case ground the ECM but am thinking about it to eliminate that. I then rapped the thing without result, (light stayed on), then turned it off & re-started and the light was off.

Did they change the location, shape or size for the 94 up, and does it take the same plugs? Also, the smaller circuit board in a plastic case under the ECM
wrapped in sticky foam, what is that? Diagnostics? I'm 85% sure, given that the fault changes by rapping the brains, that thing is the whole problem. Thank you for the warning on aftermarket ECMS. My research indicates I can just take any ECM that fits and stick the PROM chip out of mine it, and go. Is that correct, or would I still need to calibrate?

Thanks again!

Sorry to be so long getting back. I've been losing a race with Fall on the farm. Thanks again, and what do you want for a brain for that thing, Billy, and/or what should I pay for a good used one? I'm leaning toward the box. I finally got around to tearing out the ECM behind the glove box, took it apart and inspected under 5x magnification for cracked solder, inspected and cleaned connectors, IDed the B+ and ign + pins, together with the A and B pins on the tranny 11 pin plug with a VOM, checked ALL connector pin to board solder joints for high resistance, and found nothing, so I turned it around and left it loose for tests. I took it up the "drive", (half mile of primitive rock road), and the idiot light flashed when I tapped it, then came on, went out when I rapped it. I completed maybe 5 miles test drive with no more light. I headed in here today and it eventually came on with no 3&4, and voltage was still present at B+, the ignition feed, A&B. I did not separately case ground the ECM but am thinking about it to eliminate that. I then rapped the thing without result, (light stayed on), then turned it off & re-started and the light was off.

Did they change the location, shape or size for the 94 up, and does it take the same plugs? Also, the smaller circuit board in a plastic case under the ECM
wrapped in sticky foam, what is that? Diagnostics? I'm 85% sure, given that the fault changes by rapping the brains, that thing is the whole problem. Thank you for the warning on aftermarket ECMS. My research indicates I can just take any ECM that fits and stick the PROM chip out of mine it, and go. Is that correct, or would I still need to calibrate?

Thanks again!

I will try this again........ I typed a big reply but it didn't take
I doubt you will measure a cracked solder joint. You might see it if you can stress the board to open up some to show this. I never really looked.

You stated your ECM and I take it this is really your TCM you discuss.
So if you had the TCM exposed, fault present, and your tapped the TCM with a change after the tap, I would give a 99% chance it has failed. ONe small item it could be and I always check when unplugging any controller.
The female pins could be slightly oversized and need to be checked. Take a 0.0301" drill bit. Use the BUTT END and slide it to test tension on the female end. If it is loose, this is what I do, I remove the female terminal, squeeze the 4 sides that connect to the TCM pin (your will see this in the middle of the upper part of the terminal). Squeeze with your fingernails and test again. RE-install move on. I have found more than I care to say.
I don't suggest your ground the Controller case either. The ground pins should be either cleaned and tightened. What I do(if I can't get to them like back of the head, I cut them off, solder new wires and connect them as close the battery neg as poss. I run an additional grd wire to the same bolt as the batt grd cable. This adds another parth plus your have reset the neg term grd by loosen and retighten. yea it sound kinda stupid but it's worth it long term.
The TCM's were all in the same location as I remember but it's been since 94 since I looked for a controller in a standard location in a production vehicle.
The small white box is a DRAC. Digital Ratio Adapter C Well I can't remember the c.... IT takes the OUTPUT Speed sensor and corrects the speed for several outputs. Speedometer, Trans output speed, ABS 128k pulse per rev, 4 k speedo, and 2k for Cruise control and radio spd control ect. Gas and diesel use the DRAC. They made one DRAC and configure it for the tire size, axle ratio, and pulses pre rev of the output spd ring gr @ 40 pulses per rev. (It is cheaper to use a DRAC than to divide it up among PROMs)

DIags are all contained within the TCM and PROM. PROM has the calibrations for diags and shifting ect....... some software on some also but not TCM.

IF you still want to buy a TCM from me I have a few. The TCM for a BOSCH Force Motror was used from 1991 through 1993. I have this with P/N 16147609 on the case. I don't think I kept the calibration listing for the old TCM. I use 1994-2002 TCM P/N 16196390 gmpartsdirect lists the price at $209.xx Core charge of $150.00. They don't list this TCM either it is no longer ava OR it has superseded to another P/N. I did find a few places that have it for $149.xx no core. The use was less then 25 hours total.
Send me a PM if you want it and we can work the other info out. I think I have 3 of the BOSCH. I'll see if I have a listing for the cals. There may be a cal list on Tunerpro.net. I do not know if it is right like some out there.
If you have the bosch FM use the Bosch TCM, Vavlebvody, aux Valvebody, and space plate.
If you desire to switch to a Holley FM you must change the TCM, Valvebody, spacer plate, gaskets, and accumulator housing all as a package.
If you just install a Holley FM in a Bosch you may damage your case. If you look at the hydraulics on a 93 and then a 95 or so to lay out the passages you will see the diff.

I hope this has helped.

Thanks again!

I will try this again........ I typed a big reply but it didn't take
I doubt you will measure a cracked solder joint. You might see it if you can stress the board to open up some to show this. I never really looked.

You stated your ECM and I take it this is really your TCM you discuss.
So if you had the TCM exposed, fault present, and your tapped the TCM with a change after the tap, I would give a 99% chance it has failed. ONe small item it could be and I always check when unplugging any controller.
The female pins could be slightly oversized and need to be checked. Take a 0.0301" drill bit. Use the BUTT END and slide it to test tension on the female end. If it is loose, this is what I do, I remove the female terminal, squeeze the 4 sides that connect to the TCM pin (your will see this in the middle of the upper part of the terminal). Squeeze with your fingernails and test again. RE-install move on. I have found more than I care to say.
I don't suggest your ground the Controller case either. The ground pins should be either cleaned and tightened. What I do(if I can't get to them like back of the head, I cut them off, solder new wires and connect them as close the battery neg as poss. I run an additional grd wire to the same bolt as the batt grd cable. This adds another parth plus your have reset the neg term grd by loosen and retighten. yea it sound kinda stupid but it's worth it long term.
The TCM's were all in the same location as I remember but it's been since 94 since I looked for a controller in a standard location in a production vehicle.
The small white box is a DRAC. Digital Ratio Adapter C Well I can't remember the c.... IT takes the OUTPUT Speed sensor and corrects the speed for several outputs. Speedometer, Trans output speed, ABS 128k pulse per rev, 4 k speedo, and 2k for Cruise control and radio spd control ect. Gas and diesel use the DRAC. They made one DRAC and configure it for the tire size, axle ratio, and pulses pre rev of the output spd ring gr @ 40 pulses per rev. (It is cheaper to use a DRAC than to divide it up among PROMs)

DIags are all contained within the TCM and PROM. PROM has the calibrations for diags and shifting ect....... some software on some also but not TCM.

IF you still want to buy a TCM from me I have a few. The TCM for a BOSCH Force Motror was used from 1991 through 1993. I have this with P/N 16147609 on the case. I don't think I kept the calibration listing for the old TCM. I use 1994-2002 TCM P/N 16196390 gmpartsdirect lists the price at $209.xx Core charge of $150.00. They don't list this TCM either it is no longer ava OR it has superseded to another P/N. I did find a few places that have it for $149.xx no core. The use was less then 25 hours total.
Send me a PM if you want it and we can work the other info out. I think I have 3 of the BOSCH. I'll see if I have a listing for the cals. There may be a cal list on Tunerpro.net. I do not know if it is right like some out there.
If you have the bosch FM use the Bosch TCM, Vavlebvody, aux Valvebody, and space plate.
If you desire to switch to a Holley FM you must change the TCM, Valvebody, spacer plate, gaskets, and accumulator housing all as a package.
If you just install a Holley FM in a Bosch you may damage your case. If you look at the hydraulics on a 93 and then a 95 or so to lay out the passages you will see the diff.

I hope this has helped.

You say idiot light, is the the Service Engine Soon Light "flickering"? This would be a wiring problem IMO off the RPM sensor. The light ONLY comes on when the ECM doesn't see RPM from that sensor. I have never seen a 'transmission code' turn on the SES light on my 1993. I have grenaded a transmission overdrive and slipped them to store several codes, but, no light... Something about the light only being for 'engines and emissions'.

Have you checked the shaft speed sensor on the front of the transmission? The two wires going to this sensor can have the insulation fall off. The sensor can get messed up by becoming full of metal debris as it is a magnet. Pull it out and clean it.

Use a paper clip to read the codes.

Next look for 2 fusible links on the passenger side firewall that go to the ECM. Turn the key on and have a friend watch the SES light with the engine off. Wiggle the wires and see if the light flickers indicating a bad link/connection. These fusible links are getting old on our trucks...

Check the RPM sensor where the distributor would go on a gasser. Is the housing cracked? Although I used silicone to seal mine up yours may have water in it and be 'toast' from that.

Have you checked the TPS voltages? 0.5v at idle. You may want to watch the needle on an analog meter as you move the TPS looking for jumping from a bad TPS.

Not flickering, but does flash intermittently, then stays on when 3&4 are gone, War Wagon. There are no flash codes with the correct pins of the diagnostic plug shorted, either, and it won't talk to readers. (Vehicle not responding). Others I have spoken to have experienced a similar problem - one from the 11 pin transmission plug bad and one from a bad TCM/ECM, and both had the SE light come one whenever it happened. Thanks for the other tips. The shaft speed sensor for the electronic speedo is in the transfer case on this one, and I have inspected the leads& plug, but can't access the unit.

Thanks once more, BillyG. You have a PM.

Alley Oop

Back