• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80 built for towing

arupert

Reaction score
Hey guys what do you recommend be done to a 4l80 to make it bomb proof for towing? What is the best TC to use for a 6.5? TIA

#1 is a tcc lock switch, then its all about how much you want to spend. I replaced the cooler with a larger one, then moved the original and used as a second cooler-major difference. then if you want its on to lower stall convertors, improved valve bodies, clutch packs, etc. there are several custom built for towing 4l80e's out there between 3500 to 7000. My opinion is the 4l80 is a good tranny for normal use of a truck. just take care of it, get a temp gauge, change fluid. unless your hot-shotting all the time with heavy loads then MAYBE upgrade. I have seen as another member posted, temp rule of thumb is outside + 100 degrees. the hotter it runs, the shorter the fluid and tranny life on any automatic. my 1.5 cents

Like said, depends upon what you are after. IF a beefy towing tranny for durability, I would say RED ALTO CLUTCHES or BLUE PLATES, couple it together with a SUNCOAST HD converter, a TRANSGO HD2 shift kit, and depending upon your year apply the factory updated parts to it(wider band and I believe you can swap over to the harder shafts and straight cut gears). This would give you a stout 4L80E I would think, but MIKE L would know ALOT better than I. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

Hey guys what do you recommend be done to a 4l80 to make it bomb proof for towing? What is the best TC to use for a 6.5? TIA

Hey Adam go by Kenny Thomas's shop on hiway-90 he's built both trans on mine, let him know I sent you, the one in truck pulls 18K on occasion, since 2002. I have PML deep pan adds 3.75 qts extra fluid, a Deraile remote trans cooler under bed with electric fan, hd clutch pack, a B&M towing valve body kit, Transgo is good also, and his billet torque converter, with 200K I'd definately freshen up clutch pack before I'd hook up to a 5th wheel.

Heath HP4 program also improves shift, so you may want to discuss with him before doing trans mods, I had some adaptive learn issues after I mechanically modified the valve body, There wasn't a decent program when I modded my trans, latest Heath program is very well suited for the 6.5.

Suncoast as recommended does excellent work for DMax guys, and last time I talked to Ron over that way (near Milton, Fl) they were fixin to do some stuff for the 4L80/6.5 mite be worth checking them also.

I'm pretty sure that SUNCOAST offers a converter for the 4L80. I put one in a 4L60E about 2 months ago, and man does it work good. Made a night and day difference in how the truck pulls, no more mashing down the throttle to get it moving. It now moves out easily and uses all of the engines torque.

Some real good ideas here so far guys. Would love to be able to control the TCC, is there a product for a 98 4l80E?
It is great to be able to talk about all of this on one site, you folks are smart to set it up like this!

Some real good ideas here so far guys. Would love to be able to control the TCC, is there a product for a 98 4l80E?
It is great to be able to talk about all of this on one site, you folks are smart to set it up like this!

You can use Heath's or Kennedy's reflash, which can include TC control (I think Kennedy can get a little more specific for you since he does it himself).

I haven't checked their websites recently, but I think they both sell a stand alone controller that you can use to increase the line psi when you want, then back it off when you're not towing (works with OBDII).

Back