• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80 build quote

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
I have talked with a local diesel tranny builder about what I want built. Below is his quote, is their anything else I need to have done?
I do plan to use a billet flexplate. He wants to "over build" due to my expected hp/torque with the new motor, I'm good with that as well. I trust this shop, they build for high hp diesels and people speak highly of their work.

LaborHoursTotal
Complete overhaul with updated valve body and pump custom hub and valve body with raised pressures to hold 750 HP 10.50$1,211.39
PartQtyTotal
ET Global Master Kit with pistons, filter and bands
1$380.50
CK Performance Master shift Kit
Builders kit with Direct clutch and intermediate clutch updates
1$345.37
Rosta Internal Harness
1$51.62
Capital Core Bushing Kit
1$43.24
Capital Core Washer Kit
1$23.98
Sonnax Bearing Kit
1$47.31
Rosta Speed sensor
2$42.52
AC Delco 1-2 Shift Solenoid
1$42.92
AC Delco 2-3 Shift Solenoid
1$47.85
AC Delco Manifold switch
1$66.48
AC Delco EPC Solenoid
1$77.05
Sonnax Forward Clutch Hub
1$166.75
Dynamic Heavy duty billet stator torque converter
1800-2000 stall
1$910.00
Core Early 4L80E Core
1$500.00
PML Deep Pans Powder coated deep pan
1$495.00

Understandably you have a habit on not sharing details on how you arrived to select some things unless asked.

I trust you spent a lot of time on the Torque Converter Line item? Aka Worked out engine build power details and stall speed with them.

The lockup clutch in the OEM converter can easily be overpowered so what upgrades to clutch holding power does the converter you selected have? Their website I found doesn't say much about their actual product. Maybe wrong site IDK.

Example I could slip the OEM converter lugging it at 35 MPH. A Triple Disc Yank converter held 35 MPH on 10% grade locked without slipping. GM didn't lock the converter up till 45 MPH for these years and that's horrible MPG in town where speed limits are below 45 MPH. (The ECM noticed the slipping when I had a chip burned to lock at lower MPH. The manual lockup switch didn't care and was burning things up no doubt.)

I understand Yank isn't the only game in town.

@WarWagon

We did discuss HP/torque, the converter is his recommendation, I didn't know what to ask about as I've not had a automatic, that's the purpose of this thread.
It will be a late case and other upgrades to support more HP. It's not being built yet, I'll talk with him and see if I can find out better details and add here to see if anything else is needed.

The builder said the converter listed is a custom 2 disc they will build for this application and not listed on their website, it has a billet stator and non ballooning. He said most of the time a 3 disc hits hard all the time, he is going to check with another company about a 3 disc and get back with me.

He said the converter will lock when the controller tells it to so I may need to look into getting the controller changed to a lower mph if that can be done.

If you go with the EZ-TCU controller for the trans. anything can be changed easily to your liking. shift points, TCC lockup timing and all. and when you drive it and want to tweak something, you can do that on the fly from what I understand.

I like that they're including the brand names of all of the parts they're including. When I was building mine, I found that only Rostra and AC Delco are to be trusted for the electronics. I think your decision on a triple disc converter is a good one and I've heard good things about Precision torque converters.

Back