• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L60-E Pan Help

merlin5577

Diesel > Gasoline
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a transmission pan for my 4L60 that comes with a drain plug and retains the stock fluid capacity? Everyone I have seen ups the capacity 2-3 quarts and requires a filter extension. I am just interested in being able to change my Suburbans transmission fluid without getting an oil bath when taking the pan off. I guess the Allison has spoiled me. :smile5: Thanks!

Your 97 should already have the deep factory pan on it, so just go down to NAPA and buy a drain plug kit for $15 and install it yourself. I put them in all of mine to keep from taking a shower when changing the filter. Or you can go down and buy a fluid extractor pump and suck it out through the dipstick.

Your 97 should already have the deep factory pan on it, so just go down to NAPA and buy a drain plug kit for $15 and install it yourself. I put them in all of mine to keep from taking a shower when changing the filter. Or you can go down and buy a fluid extractor pump and suck it out through the dipstick.

Thats a great idea, thanks!

1997 was the transition year for shallow/deep pans. After '97 they were all deep, 97 and before are either. A shallow pan is roughly 2-1/4" high where the deep pan is roughly 2-7/8" high.

Would the pump work on my 04??

Would the pump work on my 04??

The extractor pump you just run a tube down the dipstick and suck it out before you drop the pan. I use one of these ones in my shop.

07400.jpg

I think it cost me $55 or $65 for it and it has paid for itself several times over in my mind. It's great for changing out T-stats and stuff like that where you don't want to drain everything out, but need to drain a gallon or 2 out.

I think it cost me $55 or $65 for it and it has paid for itself several times over in my mind. It's great for changing out T-stats and stuff like that where you don't want to drain everything out, but need to drain a gallon or 2 out.

Thanks. So if you just recently pumped out oil, and want to pump out antifreeze that you will pump back in, what do you use to rinse out the extractor?? And how do you do it??

I always keep a 5 galloon jug of paint thinner in the shop for cleaning parts with. I just drain it out and pour in about a cup full and swish it around some and most of the time that is enough to clean it out.

To answer my original question, I did find a pan made by Trans Dapt (PN; TD9740) that is a stock replacement pan for my 97' and it comes with a drain plug.

No worries, glad to help.

The cheapest I have found the pan is $34, from paceperformance. I am going to buy one before my next transmission service.

Back